Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Just replaced impeller in my 1994 Mer. 150 XR6. Impeller works…

Customer Question
Just replaced impeller in my...
Just replaced impeller in my 1994 Mer. 150 XR6. Impeller works fine, but now it won't shift into gear. I disassembled it in neutral. I put it back together exactly as I took it apart. Why won't it go into forward or reverse? I didn't touch anything other than the drive shaft and impeller housing and water pipe.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/10/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is***** lower unit has to be in forward along with the control. Taking it apart it doesn't matter but putting it back together it has to be in forward. So drop the lower unit back down turn the shift rod CW while turning the prop to the left CCW till prop locks. Now put the control in forward gear. Now put the lower unit on while holding pressure on the prop CCW. Once you have the ;lower unit up in place install one bolt check the shift. If it still doesn't shift correctly post back.
what is CW and CCW?
CW,ClockWise.... CCW,Counter ClockWise
Thanks, ***** ***** do tonight.
Your welcome.............Let me know if you still have an issue. This is the procedure I do it might take one or 2 tries. The shift rods getting them lined up and holding the prop can be difficult. Holding pressure on the prop keeps the lower unit in forward gear. If it slips a little it can pop out of gear.