Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Jeff i have a 15 hp merc 2 stroke that has issues running

Customer Question
hi jeff i have a...
hi jeff i have a 15 hp merc 2 stroke
that has issues running dies out and back fires i cleaned the carbs and
put new hose clamps on fuel supply line from tank to engine
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/10/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
Hi, I can't take phone calls right now. I'll be glad to help through this thread. If you need a call I can Opt Out and see if one of the other guys can accommodate you. Let me know how you want to proceed.
Thanks
No problemCan you let me know what else I can check to see why it is running badAlso I noticed while it is ideling
It will make a noise like it was put into
Gear and it was in neutral
If you have a grinding, ratcheting sound then the engine may in fact be partially in gear. As you shift the engine does the noise go away when fully in gear?
When you cleaned the carbs did you take it fully apart and replace gaskets? Popping, backfiring engine dieing out are usually symptoms of a lean condition in a carb. usually caused by a blockage in the idle circuit, partial blockage in the high speed jet or mis adjusted.
Fill me in on what you did to the carb.
Thanks
I believe they it is a ratcheting
Sound
It would appear the lower unit is partially in gear. If you get the sound when it is fully in gear either the clutch dog, shifter, and or gears are worn.
So you have the sound in neutral as well as in gear?
I don't belive there is any noise when
Gear engine has very little use
Was not run in years
Is there a adjustment for the shifter
Can you get me the serial number so I can positively ID the engine.
Yes I will tomorrow tks
Where is the number
It should be on a small sticker on the swivel bracket of the midsection. May be covered with grease.
sorry took so long
year is 2002 serial # ot487581
Your engine does have an adjustment of the cables. Turn the propeller by hand (spark plugs out) in neutral and see if it clicks. The move the shift slightly towards forward and see if you get a good neutral, prop spins freely with no clicking.
Jeff i put a carb kit in and cleaned all jets and complete carb i was putting back together and there is a rod in front of the carb
that is attached to a plastic setup that is hooked to the speed adjusting mechanism and goes back under the flywheel
and i can not see where it attaches to can you please help tks john
On the trigger, the plate under the flywheel that moves back and forth there is a small slot. The right angle end of the long thin rod goes through a small opening. The double right angle end goes in a slot in the top of the fast idle lever. This is so when you advance the idle speed with the knob this rod pulls the trigger forward to advance the timing which raises the idle speed.
It is hard to see on the trigger. The trigger has a small ball for attaching the throttle linkage.
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic