Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Mercury 200 h.p. black max ... starts fine and idle's good

Customer Question

mercury 200 h.p. black max ... starts fine and idle's good wont accelerate, boggs down like choke is stuck, flooding
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Revs up fine when hooked up to hose but won't rev up when prop is submerged
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Local Mechanic Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number please.
Next, all outboard troubleshooting starts with checking compression and spark intensity output, have those checks been performed, and if so, what were the results?
How old is the gas?
Has this engine been sitting a long time? When was the last time it made full power under a load?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
fuel is new, I drained and cleaned the tank out and checked for water in tank, it was running fine last week, then yesterday I took it out and it was running choppy out of the marina wakeless area, I throttled down and it got up to about 50 mph and then bogged down and I have not gotten it to throttle up under a load since. acts like a wiring problem like plug wires arking
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
All outboard troubleshooting starts with checking compression and spark intensity output, have those checks been performed, and if so, what were the results? (if you feel the problem is electrical then obviously checking spark is the first thing)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have the tools to check that. I was thinking that you might know if it is a common problem with outboards and have a suggestion of what the problem is. I know a lot about car motors but have never worked on a 2 stroke outboard before
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
If what is a common problem? Not running correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if there is a connection or a fuse or something that goes bad to cause it to act the way I described
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
There is no fuse.... As far as connections go, the engine has 2 miles of wiring on it.... You have to have a basic idea of what the engine is lacking in order to know where to go looking. The engine needs 3 things to run, compression, spark and fuel. If you do have compression and spark then you have a fueling issue, probably dirty carbs or a sticky float. And checking every connection on the engine won't help you there. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not an idiot, I understand that, I am asking an extremely simple question and you havn't even attempted to give me an answer... let me make the question a little simpler for you... if this was your boat and it was acting this way,,,, what would you check first, beyond what I have already done?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Compression and spark is what gets checked first. If you have the tools it takes 15 minutes to check both. There is no getting around this, wether you buy the tools and do it yourself, or pay the mechanic to do the testing for you, it has to be done either way.
The question you are asking is not very simple. This is a high performance 200 horsepower engine that is designed to run at 5k rpms for hours on end, It is nothing like a car/car engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am completely aware of this, think about if you were sitting anchored to the shore with a pocket knife and a pair of pliers as your tool kit, no-one around to ask except just answer.com .... any suggestions?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You can't fix this, you need a mechanic. I will opt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought you were a mechanic, I figured you could at least give me suggestions for what I was willing to pay...????
I better not get charged anything for this agrivation since you havn't even attempted to give me an answer
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** expert here on the site. Do you still need help with the engine?