Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

On the water traveling less than 10 mphNew oil change, new

Customer Question
On the water traveling less...
On the water traveling less than 10 mph
New oil change, new battery, has gas
Boat stops after a small jerk - as if a small piece of floating wood/stick touched the boat
Will turn over, attempting to start- then nothing
When trying to starting, it doesn't drag- flips once then stops
What could it be??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is this a sterndrive boat or inboard?

When you say it flips once, has it ony flipped the 1 time. Or can you get multiple revolutions out of the engine but just one at a time?

Inboard/outboard
Flips once with no additional revolution
If you turn the key will it flip once with each turn of the key, or did it only flip the 1 time and that was it?
One key turn, one revolution - and can do the same turn with same result
I hear the start and attempt then nothing
It can be any number of things here. The first thing to check for is a dead battery. Do you have a voltemeter and do you know how to take basic voltage measurments?
We were moving and driving along when it stopped . Plus it's a new battery and just had it ckd out
Okay.... Go on.
Go on....
Just de winterized, boat has new oil and filter, fired right up several times and then while cruising along it stopped

A few minutes ago I had asked " The first thing to check for is a dead battery. Do you have a volt meter and do you know how to take basic voltage measurments?"

You didn't respond to that, can I get a simple yes or no on that please.

Do not have a voltage meter and I am sure it is not a dead battery
Okay good luck!
Good luck? Can we still work on getting a direction? Another notable occurrence was each time I'd try to start the boat, if the steering wheel was turned to one side, once turning the key the wheel would turn / could this be of any help
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is***** the battery cables are they tight? If you turn the key to start position and move the throttle handle back and forth with the engine crank?
Cables are tight. New battery and we were moving on the water about 10mph
Will crank one time and then silent
When you turn the key to the on position do your gauges come on? Did you try cranking and moving the shift handle? Does it crank? If you find the sspot where it cranks leave the lever there. Now will engine continue to crank? You have a loose connection somewhere in the start circuit.
Thank you- great questions. Yes, when key is turned, gauges come on. When throttle is moved or in neutral and key is turned to start, boat cranks once and then nothing
Ok locate the main engine harness plug on the engine. This is where the boat harness plugs to the engine harness. Pull the plug apart then plug it back together now try to start the engine. Does it start? If no go directly to the starter and with a piece of wire jump from terminal A to B does the engine crank normally? http://i.imgur.com/SbZmo0h.png
Thank you. Great suggestions! I will attempt that tomrw. May I ask one more question this evening before we reconvene tomorrow ....
Why would the boat of stopped while in motion?
Loss of battery voltage to the engine. That's why I think you have a loose connection. What verifies this is the engine cranks then quits like you are loosing voltage. I would check all the connections on the key switch and the engine both positive and negative at the dash and the engine. Somewhere we are loosing voltage. Post back with findings.
Tan, I checked with the person driving when it happened and was told the meters r working and level was between 13-14
What do ya think??
Ok then we need to check the voltage at the ignition coil when the engine acts up. If we loose voltage to the coil then we still have a loose connection or corroded connection. Did the engine restart ok today when you tried starting the engine?
No, same result. Turned over the one time and then nothing. Will check about the ignition coil and any corrosion
Thank you
Will let u know
Ok did you try cranking the motor at the starter? This will eliminate the starter as the problem. This is going to be one of those things where we have to keep checking different locations for the voltage loss. We need to check the voltage on the P & Q terminal when the engine quits cranking. If no voltage we have a voltage from key switch to solenoid. This is either a bad key switch, neutral safety switch, corroded connection in the main engine harness. http://i.imgur.com/v6ikNFi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/v6ikNFi.jpg
Ok! I'll give it a go and let u know. Thank you
Ok your welcome.
Tan, wanted u to know as much as I appreciate the direction with my boat problems, it turns out the lower out drive has seized up- ball bearings need liberation and maintenance
Ok symptoms can be similar. I most likely would have found the issue if I were there to hear the engine. Please don't forget to positively rate me for me time and help to you. This is the only way I get credit for helping you in a strange situation. Thank you........Tan
Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician