Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1982 mercury 115 hp that goes good at slow speed but

Customer Question

i have a 1982 mercury 115 hp that goes good at slow speed but at high speed sounds like it is starving for gas . I have put a fuel pump kit ,changed coils ,put new gas. a friend said his was a hi temp switch. does mine have one these. Gary
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** a over heat warning but it won't slow the engine down. If the engine over heats you will get an alarm. We need to do a spark and compression test to eliminate these as possible causes. The spark must jump a 7/16" gap on a spark gap tester. The compression must be 90 + psi with no more than 15% difference. When you are running the engine and it is acting up choke the engine does it run better? If no change squeeze the primer bulb does it run better? Both of these checks need to be done when engine is acting up. Post back with findings.