Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I've traced a ground fault to within my Yamaha 150 outboard.

Customer Question
But I can't figure out...
I've traced a ground fault to within my Yamaha 150 outboard. But I can't figure out where the current crossover is occurring. If I disconnect the main black electrical harness in the engine, the fault remains. If I disconnect the hot wires at the solenoid, it disappears. The smaller of the two red wires connected to the solenoid creates a full 12V ground fault, but I can't trace where that red wire goes. Nothing visually obvious wrong.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
I don't quite understand what it is you are doing. What problem is the engine having that you are trying to correct?
My name is Tom. Do you know what a ground fault is? I'm loosing current, through some unintended circuit. I've disconnected all the fuses to things like lights, horn, wash down pumps, bait aerator pump, radio, etc. So, none of the red (positive circuits) should be drawing current. When I attach a volt meter from the positive lead of the battery, to the (disconnected) positive wire that runs to the engine, I read 12 volts. It should read zero if nothing is drawing current, or completing the circuit (like I said, I've disconnected all other circuits).
Should I expect a reply, or are you done with this question?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I don't quite understand, is the battery running dead on you when the engine sits, is that what is going on?
I haven't noticed it running down when it sits, but I always turn off my battery selector switch. When running the boat is running at idle speeds, I notice that the voltage being received at my chart plotter fluctuates between 10-11 volts, which sometimes causes it to shut off. And the horn won't work. If I rev the engine, the voltage will rise to 13, and the horn works. After a day on the water, the battery is run down. Using my voltmeter, I tested for a ground fault, and see that I have one. And that takes me back to my previous statement, of having disconnected all the power drawing circuits (including the bilge pump), and still see current flowing across the positive lead.
What does the voltage read at the battery terminals with the engine running in the 1500-2k rpm range?
Around 13.
Okay that's to low, you should be between 14.1 and 14.9, at 13 it's not really charging. Have you located the 50 amp fuse on the engine, an if so, is that fuse good?
It is charging, perhaps a bit low. I'm reading the current coming out of the battery (not going in), so I wouldn't expect it to be much higher than 12-13.
Yes, the 50 amp fuse is ok. I notice that if I pulled that fuse, the ground fault disappears. I assume that fuse is between the alternator and the battery.Do you understand what I mean when I say a "ground fault". It's not a "short circuit", but rather a "minor" leakage of current from a positive wire to another ground somewhere.
Do you understand what I mean when I say a "ground fault". It's not a "short circuit", but rather a "minor" leakage of current from a positive wire to another ground somewhere.
I don't think you understand what a ground fault is. This is all DC electricity you are working this, there is no such thing a ground fault in DC. In AC, where you have 3 wires, a Hot a neutral and a ground. A technical "short circuit" is when hot touches neutral. And a technical "ground fault" is when hot touches ground.
Since this is DC electricity lets try not to use the word ground fault. It is improper. With DC circuits there are only 3 possibilities. An open circuit, a short circuit, and a functioning circuit. And that's it.
The problem you are having is your charge voltage is to low. It needs to be 14 or better. Run the engine again, ground the meter negative lead to battery negative, and then check voltage at the 50 amp fuse. does voltage come up?
My chartplotter shows that it is only getting 10 volts from a fully charged battery. A short circuit would blow a fuse, an open circuit wouldn't allow it to turn on. Somewhere I'm loosing current (hence the term ground fault). I'm not making up the terminology. It's widely used in boating. It describes what I'm witnessing immediately (i.e., not after a period of time when a fully charged battery runs down). Thanks for the attempt to help, but I think its best to end this Q&A.
Your thinking of "Voltage Drop"....... Not ground fault. And really you are confusing yourself here because you don't understand what the words mean.
I will opt out.