Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I just bought a 1980 boat with a 100 horse Johnson and

Customer Question
Hello I just bought a...
Hello I just bought a 1980 boat with a 100 horse Johnson and I took it out yesterday and started rite up but when I headed out I gave the boat full throttle and it only went a at 6-7 mp. I took the cover off and it shows its getting all the throttle but no speed u think u could help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Is the engine getting full rpm (about 5k rpms) but just no speed? Or is there no rpm and no speed?
Well the rpm gauge doesn't work but by listening to it yesterday it didn't sound like it had full rpm. I tightened the throttle friction today and cleaned out the plugs sounds like it's getting more rpm's but can't really tell
Sooo without a tach there is no way of knowing how high the engine is getting. What do you think, is it getting 1/2 rpm, 3/4 rpm?
1/2 rpm I can buy a rpm gauge if I need to today but don't really know how to wire it up
Chances are this engine probably has more than 1 thing wrong with it. Do you have another propeller you can try to see if you get more speed out of it?
No I don't have another propeller. The guy said he just paid 800 dollars worth off motor work I think he said all of the wiring all electrical work. I can try to wire up a rpm gauge and take it out
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** do a spark and compression test? This is where I would start. If you are loosing spark on one or more cylinders this could be your loss of power. Your spark should jump a 7/16" gap on a spark gap tester. The compression must be 90+ psi with no more than 15% difference. Is this something you can do?
I don't have a tester I guess I'll just have to take it to a mechanic
Buy thanks tan for the advice.
Ok chances are you have an ignition or carburetion issue. Can you do a couple of tests that don't require any special tools? With engine running pull each spark plug wire off does the engine drop rpms? Use a pair of insulated pliers for this test. When you are running the boat push in the choke does it pick up rpms? Squeeze the primer bulb does it pick up rpms?
K I'll try that when I get it to the water. Hope it's not a lot of work and money to fix it
Ok that all depends on what we find. If you find a cylinder with no spark swap one of the firing ignition coils with the non firing cylinder. Does it fire now? Post back with findings.
But the way the motor sounds and acts it might be the carb
K I will post back might be a little while before I can test it out
It's very possible the choke when it is acting up will tell us if it is a carb issue. Squeezing the primer bulb will tell us if you have a fuel restriction or fuel pump issue. So when you are running the engine just briefly push the choke if the engine picks up rpms then we have a carburetor issue.
Kewl IL try it out thanks a lot
Ok keep me posted.
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic