Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

When fueling my 2001 carver 444 cockpit motoryacht it

Customer Question
When fueling my 2001 carver...

When fueling my 2001 carver 444 cockpit motoryacht it overflows diesel  through the overflow tube before shutting off. How can this be fixed, what is causing this to happen?

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 day by:
6/8/2015
Marine Mechanic: Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician replied 3 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
On most boats the vent tube will fill with fuel before the nozzle shuts off. It is worse with diesel because it foams more, so it fills the vent tube faster. You could either install a whistler type device in the vent line, this makes noise as the air escapes but as the fuel hits it the noise stops so you know to stop the pump, or use a catch can device that is either mounted inside the boat to the vent line or simply stuck on the outside over the vent so the fuel goes in the can/bottle instead of in the water.