Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I got in my pontoon boat this evening and I cannot get the engine to lower its an outboard…

Customer Question
I got in my pontoon...
I got in my pontoon boat this evening and I cannot get the engine to lower its an outboard. its a 50 horsepower Johnson and the lift controls are on the throttle at the steering wheel. About seems to have power lights horn excetera but I hear no noise from the hydraulic pump that would lower the engine.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/7/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is***** get the engine model number please? Have you tried the switch on the side of the motor? Do you hear the trim motor run?
J50pleea.
Its actually a 1999
No response from button on side of engine. No noise at all from trim motor.
Check the inline fuse next to the start solenoid. Does the engine crank? If no the fuse on the engine next to the start solenoid is blown. Also check your battery connections on the battery be sure they are clean and tight. Is the battery fully charged?
Here is the harness and the fuse # ***** the other wires # ***** & 37 connect to the start solenoid.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1999/J50ELEER/IGNITION%20SYSTEM%20--%20ELECTRIC%20START/parts.html
Engine cranks, battery good.
Lights work
Ok we need to check the connections on the replays. Remove the relays and check the connections. Check the ground and the power supply to the relay terminals. The red is power supply to the relays and should be connected directly to the solenoid the ground connects to the engine block.