Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1994 Merc. 60 Hp. SR# ***** 107593. I removed the lower unit

Customer Question

1994 Merc. 60 Hp. SR# ***** 107593. I removed the lower unit to check lube on shift splines. Ok, I used the service manual from Clymer shop manual 2.5-60 HP 1994-1997, when ran the motor it always was in forward, and no neutral or reverse what is proper sequence in detail. I had unit in forward,
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
It is forward, but it is tricky to do. What you want to do is remove the lower unit. Push the outboard shift linkage all the way into forward gear. And then put the lower unit into forward gear and lock it in place. To do that what you want to do is turn the shift shaft spline at the front of the lower unit clockwise while at the same time turning the propeller counter clockwise. When the propeller locks, the unit is in forward gear. Now to lock it in gear you want to get a bungee cord and clip the propeller, wrap it around the prop a few times counter clockwise, and then clip it to the plate above the propeller. You want to cord to always hold tension on the propeller counter clockwise.
After that, this can be done 1 person, but it will be easier if you have a friend help you out. What you want to do is remove all of the engine spark plugs. And while you push up on the lower unit, have your buddy rock the flywheel back and forth, and this will help align the driveshaft splines.
Lastly, and here is the tricky part. If you look at the shift rod in the front of the midsection. That rotates clockwise for forward, and counter clockwise for reverse, just like the shift spline on the front of the lower unit. As you push the lower unit up, It will help if you grab that rod with a pair of pliers and try to put a little tension on it counter clockwise as the lower pushes up. If you do, and everything goes right, what will happen when you remove the pliers that rod will now have a little bit of tension in the clockwise position, ensureing that it is in forward gear
And that's it, that is how you put it up the correct way. I know it's tricky but I want to make sure you understand the procedure. Does all that make sense to you? -Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try this tomorrow. thank you! John
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome John and I was glad I could help. Just remember the 2 tricks are locking the lower unit into forward. And then once it's pretty close to being all the way in twist the shift rod at the front of the midsection just ever so lightly counter clockwise. The rod is so long it acts like a torsion bar.
Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you can not see the ratings box, please reply back "I rate Jasons service as _______" and fill the blank with whatever you deem most appropriate. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi John, just checking in. Any Luck? -Jason