Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1985 galaxy conquest boat with the 140 hp 3.0. Ive

Customer Question

I have a 1985 galaxy conquest boat with the 140 hp 3.0. Ive been winterizing it correctly and i notuce this year after running it for about ten minutes that the oil is looking a little chocolate milky. Im assuming this is water getting mixed in the oil. I know your first answer is goin to be cracked block but what else could cause this. The boat is running perfectly fine there is no water in the cylinders. I opened and drained water from the block and its nice and clear what else can cause this. Could it possibly be a blown head gasket i know its rare for a boat but i just dont know where to start. Any help would be great thank you. My name is ***** ***** im from rochestet ny and boating season is just finally gettin goin and im sidelined lol
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Matt, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Did you change the oil and re-run it to see if the water came back? How high did the level rise on the dipstick?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Matt, it looks like you read my response and logged off. Did you try to send a reply back as I did not receive one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea srry was having internet trouble. Yes i tried new oil and ran for about maybe 7 minutes and notice it was starting to over heat it prob needs a thermostat also i didnt notice how high the oil rose
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hopefully your still there
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hey Matt i'm still here. when you changed the oil and re-run it, did it get milky again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Like chocolate milk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Got it. Unfortuantely it is either a cracked block. Or, the cylinder head has to be cracked or warped at the back of it. I'm attaching a picture, click this link below, and then let me know when you can see it.
Here it is - http://i.imgur.com/aXa5Knq.png
Do you have an air compressor and blowgun?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea i got it. It was the coldest winter up here in 80 years but ik i winterized it correctly. I dnt see how i cracked the block
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So i should prob pull the head off and take a look then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea i do have an air compressor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just a regular air nozzle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
U there ?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Look at the picture, I circled the oil holes in red, and the water port in blue. If it is the head, water would have to get from that water port all the way over to that oil drain hole. If you have the head off and were to actually look at it, it's a bit of a distance, it's a good inch to inch an a half. It definitely can happen, and I have seen it with engines that have been severly overheated and have cracked and warped heads. But it is not as likely as a cracked block. Especially if the engine has never overheated.
What you want to do here pump out the engine oil. Drain the engine block. And pull off one of the water hoses on the front of the engine. Remove the fill cap on the valve cover. Remove the oil dipstick. Set the regulator on the air compressor to just 5 or 6 psi. What you are going to do is place your palm over the valve cover opening to seal it up the best you can. (get a helper if you need one). Stick the blowgun against the dipstick tube, and blow air in. Then you want to listen to the opening that you took a cooling hose off and listen for the sounds of flowing air. If you hear it, and especially if you feel it, the block is cracked. If you don't really hear or feel anything, there is a head gasket issue. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea that helps. Im just in shock knowing it could be a cracked block lol. I always winterize correctly but it was a brutal winter maybe i hadto forget something but thnx for all the help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When u say pull water hose do you mean one of the water pump hoses? And which do you prefer
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can just pull the big U shaped hose at the front of the engine, where the water pump is. You want to see if the air you blow in the block is freely blowing out of there as well.
You are most welcome and I was glad I could help.
Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you can not see the ratings box, please reply back "I rate Jasons service as _______" and fill the blank with whatever you deem most appropriate. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!
Jason