Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My Volvo pent a 3.0 when run full throttle makes a popping…

Customer Question
My Volvo pent a 3.0...
My Volvo pent a 3.0 when run full throttle makes a popping sound and loses power
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/5/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is***** you changed all your fuel filters? Could I get the complete engine model number please? This could be a fuel starvation issue. The popping is a lean running engine then it looses power as it is starving for fuel.
3.0 Volvo gs
Where are the fuel filters is there one on carborator
Have you changed all your fuel filters? Has the engine been sitting for awhile? Do you use fuel with ethanol?
I use 93 sunco gas I just the boat two weeks ago it had a half tank of gas in it I added gas alone with stablizer
Hey had the boat at a slip in his camp ground
There is a fuel filter in the bottom of the fuel pump. The filter on the carburetor is in the large nut where the fuel line connects to the carb. Check these and if they are clean run the engine on another fuel source. Post back if the engine still runs the same.
I check the one on the carborator it was clean have not check one on fuel pump
You may also have a canister filter. Check between the engine and the fuel tank in the fuel supply line.
There isn't a canister the one on fuel pump looks clean
Ok that leaves the boat side fuel system or the engine timing. Have you checked the timing? We still need to run the engine on a different fuel source. Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump get a piece of fuel hose and a gas can connect the fuel line to the fuel pump and put the other end in the gas can. Secure the gas can and run boat. Does it run better?
Could the fuel pump be bad or carb need rebuilding
I will have to buy a timing ligth
Not likely on the fuel pump possible on the carburetor. We need to start at the beginning of the fuel system and work our way to the carb. If we start at the carb and the fuel tank is the problem then you will have rebuilt the carb for no reason.
Got I will check back with u later I need to get a fresh tank of gas I see how that goes. If it helps the engine does idle OK and it will cruise at 3000 rpms with no issue it only happens at full throttle
Yes that's usually a fuel starvation issue. The popping is due to the lean fuel condition caused by the restriction. Now you could have a timing issue but not as likely as the restriction. The timing spec is 2 degrees BTDC (before top dead center).