Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I'm Nick. I have a 1989

Customer Question
I have a 1989 Sea...
I have a 1989 Sea ***** ***** with twin 3208s. When I put the boat away last year, I had no problems. On my first voyage out this year, I noticed my starboard engine seems like the throttle is out of whack. I have to move the throttle significantly further to produce the same RPMs as the port engine and is maxing at about 1800 RPMs. All fluids and filters/seps are good, good water pumping and no leaks are evident. Also, no funny smells (turbo charger) or noticable difference in exhaust. Approximately 1050 hours on the engines. Is it possible the linkage slipped over the winter or do you think it could be something else?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
6/4/2015
Marine Mechanic: Noel Schembri, Marine Technician replied 2 years ago
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I doubt the throttle linkage has slipped. What i would check first is the turbocharger pressure, make sure that it is boosting as the other engine. If it is then i would get the injectors cleaned as it looks it is starving for diesel.
Check the above and let me know.
Noel
Neither sounds like a very cheap solution.
To check the turbocharger pressure you just need to connect a boost gauge to your intake system. It is not an expensive thing to do but you need to start from there.
Noel
I am far from any kind of a mechanic, but will give it a try.
What should the pressure read?
it should be around 10-11psi. Have you also checked the fuel filter for any restrictions and contamination?
Noel
I did last night. I replaced the filter/sep and cleaned the can and replaced the secondary filters on each engine. The water sep can (bottom) had a some setiment, but the filters themselves looked ok.
Ok then next thing to check is the boost pressure under load. Ideally compare it with the other engine.
Noel
Ok. I just need to get a boost guage and figure out where to put it (lol). The service manual I downloaded doesn't give an illustration. I'll let you know how it goes.
Ok keep me updated
Noel
It seems that it is the hydraulic shifter. Pumped it a few times and worked a bubble out. Engine responded and 3k+ rpm. Going to drain the fluid and replace
Ok great, if you require further assistance let me know.
Noel
So the follow up to that would be...where do I add hydraulic fluid to the throttles? I want to take the old fluid out and replace so that it doesn't happen again. I've tried looking at schematics (again...I'm an accountant and not a diesel mechanic lol), but have been unable to find anything.
To do that job it is not that easy as you need special tools to bleed out air. At this stage i suggest you talk to a cat mechanic.
Noel
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician