Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

So I have a problem, I have twin df150..starboard starts everytime port wont give me s…

Customer Question
Hi..so I have a problem...
Hi..so I have a problem, I have twin df150..starboard starts everytime port wont give me so much as a click. I switch ignitions at the helm and the port side ignition now starts my starboard motor so now I know the problem is at the motor not at the ignition.
I can jump across the starter and the motor turns over but clearly there is a closed circuit not allowing the plugs to fire off..I just bought 2 new batteries tonight the motors have not run since last summer when I parked it there were no problems. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/3/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
When you turn the key to run, do your gauges come alive?
No
Im carlos
I get nothing at the helm on my port side
Are we still connected jason
Hi Carlos. The next step would be to check the fuses on the engine. Do you know where they are located? (Are you near the boat now)
Yes I checked them all
They chk out good as far as I can tell
Are you testing them with a voltmeter, a test light, or are you just pulling them out and looking at them?
Meter and pulled them and checked visually ad well
Not all check out so im guessing those circuits are still open
I didnt pull the plugs to check for fire but the motor turns over and sounds like there is no fire no aytempt to fire off
I dont hear the fuel pump cycle either
Okay, next step is checking for voltage on the white wire at the keyswitch. What do you read for voltage there?
Hold up, so the engine does turn over but it does not start, is that right?
Only turns over if I jump across the coil on the starternot at the key
I haven't checked the voltage on the white wire only checked the fuse on the white wire
Okay. Next step is check voltage at the white wire at the keyswitch. Are you near the engine now, or did you want to check it tomorrow and get back to me?
I can run out and check it its in my driveway
I will have to find it at the key switch
Okay.
To dark cant see tonight
I chk that tomorrow I guess
I pulled the fuse on the white wire and it had 12v
No problem, there are not time limits here. We can catch up tomorrow. I'm off to bed in a few myself.
G'night Carlos. --Jason
Thanks Jason
You bet.
Hello, just checking in. Any luck?
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic