Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Installing new ignition switch on 2008 Sea Ray 185 bowrider. Four…

Customer Question
Installing new ignition switch on...
Installing new ignition switch on 2008 Sea Ray 185 bowrider.
Four wires. 2 red/purple, 1 yellow/red, 1 purple/red.
Poles:
Ignition
Starter
Accessory
Battery
M
What wire goes to which pole?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/2/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Those all make sense except for the "M". What do you mean by M? Are there 4 posts or 5 on the back of this key switch? Do you happen to know who makes this switch?

I, A, M, B, S are the lettered poles.
The ignition is OEM I believe.
Will have to check receipt for mfg name.
Are there 5 posts in total on the back of the keyswitch, or are there 2 different M's?
4 posts.
Forget M. Just a letter without corresponding pole.
I can send you photo if you email me at***@******.***.
Thanks, Jason
Gordon
Sorry for being confusing.
There are 4 poles on the Sierra MP4010 switch.
I, S, A, B. No M pole.
I have a photo I can share with you if that would help.
Gordon

No problem Gordon, it was just the M that didn't make sense,. The way I was reading that was that you had a 5 posts, which should not have been there.

wires. 2 red/purple, 1 yellow/red, 1 purple/red.
Ignition - Purple/red
Starter - Yellow/red
Accessory - Not needed unless you have a stereo that you want to wire to the accessory position
Battery - Both Red/purples

I think that should do it I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the wiring or do you think that covers it? --Jason

Yes.

That is the way I had it, but it does not start.

Okay.... So really what you need help with is diagnosing a no start issue.... Corrrect?

It seems so, but I had to make sure the wiring was correct. Does that make sense?

I hear you. The wiring is correct.

Do you have a voltmeter or test light and do you know how to check for basic votlages?

When you turn the key to RUN, do your gauges come alive and do you get the beep?

When was the last time it started?

Did anybody install a battery, jump a battery, or charge a battery when it last started?

I have fully charged the battery.

Bilge and blower work.

No beep when I turn on the ignition.

I have a volt meter, but I will need assistance to use it properly.

I can't teach people how to use voltmeters, that is something you would already need to know on your own. It takes months at the college/trade school level to understand what you are doing with it, it's not something that can be taught over a forum.

When did this engine last start? Did anybody install a battery, jump a battery, or charge a battery when it last started?

Battery is fine. Boat started easily in November.
Voltmeter shows no flow to either the starter pole or the ignition pole.
Your thoughts as to the problem?
Gordon
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, my name is ***** ***** expert here on the site.

Where did you have both meter leads when checking the voltage?

What engine do you have?
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. Gordon. MY name is ***** ***** go to the motor and check the voltage on the circuit breaker? Connect the red test lead to one of the terminals on the circuit breaker then the black lead to an engine ground. What is you voltage reading? The meter needs to read 20 volts DC. You should have 12 volts on the circuit breaker.
Gordon,
Could you please answer my question about the meter and the engine?