Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My 97 xp will not stay powered up just put a new battery in…

Customer Question
My 97 xp will not...
My 97 xp will not stay powered up just put a new battery in had same problem last year replaced key post same problem . Ran fine when I bought it then hit a big wave one day and it shut down no power then powered up and died. Seems to be worse just tried to start it gauges power up for a second then shut off. Got power to starter bumped it worked fine. Also seems to drain battery if hooked up while not using. Checked all the fuses.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 3 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Hi, My name is***** you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
Have you by chance checked the ground connection to the block?
Yes, I can bump start solenoid no prob
Jumping the solenoid just puts power directly to the starter from the battery.
If the ski is just randomly shutting down it's losing connection somewhere.
The typical connection is where the dess post wires meet the ecm.
The dess post harnesses are notorious for having bad wires inside them.
I know you said you've tested or checked them but I would lean towards replacing that post and harness if you're lost otherwise. I mean anything you do is going to be a wild guess and those are common failed parts so it wouldn't hurt to start there.