Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have 94 speedster-both engines run fine until about 4000 rpms-when…

Customer Question
have 94 speedster-both engines run...
have 94 speedster-both engines run fine until about 4000 rpms-when increase beyond that, right engine zooms up to 7000 rpms until I back it down to the 4000 range again-any idea what the problem is?-thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2015
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
If the engine runs off high rpms like that on it's own this usually indicates an air leak and the engine should be pressure tested/leak down test. Common areas are intake gaskets, carb mounting gaskets, reeds, case gaskets, crank seal, etc including the leaking of the rotary valve assembly. Air leaks on a 2-stroke allow extra air to which it will start to draw it's own fuel and engine will run off on it's own. This is usually causing a lean condition which if not corrected can also lead to top end failure.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Would it still be OK to operate the engines at an RPM level (4000 rpms) where the right engine did not run to the 7000 rpm level or would this still do possible engine damage?-any estimaye on cost to repair such an issue????-thanks
I would not, no. You may also want to check the impeller and wear ring along with the pump for damage, depending on when and how far throttle is advanced such as if it's full throttle when this happens then it may be sucking air due to pump, impeller or wear ring issues. The impeller and wear ring should not have much distance between them when checking and no gouges or chunks. This is for instance if you go to take off full throttle and one engine goes full rpm right away and other is lower as it is building speed. Air leak would normally be say your half throttle and this happens.
Thanks,
Joe
I appreciated your prompt response and your suggestions as to what might be causing the problem-until I'm actually able to look at the potential problems areas you noted more closely and do some further water testing, I won't be able to accurately assess how helpful your information was-at least you provided some good starting point which I didn't have before-should I have any further subsequent questions, can I still contact you or do I have to pay another fee?-thanks
Good afternoon,
I greatly apologize for the delay in my reply to you.
You can reply back to me at any time without further fee so long as it remains under this exact question and is part of the same problem. In any event you can always reply back at any time to me and I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able, which generally is quick with some exceptions.
If you do need any further assistance please let me know.
Thanks again,
Joe