Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1999 Johnson 130hp with an idle problem

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
5/31/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Steve, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Can I get the model number on the engine please. Next, what kind of problem does it have specifically, ,and what is it you are looking to do about it?

J130PLEE... I want to raise the idle. The factory service manual says to turn screw counterclockwise to increase the idle and nothing happens. It's an odd cigar shaped tube and I can figure out how it even will work
Got it. Click this link to pull up a picture.
http://i.imgur.com/bUsLDoC.png
On the linkage on the side, #71 is the idle speed screw. Is that the screw you are turning in?
Hi Steve, it looks like you read my reply and logged off. Did you try to reply back as I did not receive one. Are you turning the screw #71 in the picture?
you're looking at a different engine
Hmmmm..... J130PLEE Correct? I am pretty sure I am looking at the correct engine.
Here is what I am looking at.
First click this link; This is where I took the picture from
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1999/J130PLEED/CYLINDER%20&%20CRANKCASE/parts.html
And then click this link
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1999/J130PLEED/CARBURETOR%20&%20LINKAGE/parts.html
Those are for J130PLEE. So either the parts listing is wrong. Or you didn't give me the correct model number. Or the sticker on your engine is wrong. I did double check with Evinrudes parts catalog and they do show the same style linkage as the boats.net website. So both evinrude and boat.net would have to be wrong or that engine isn't that model number.
Are you sure on that model number? Is this a V4 or a V6 engine? Does the picture you gave me definitely match your engine?
The boat/motor is at the marina. I guessed at the model # as the choice is either a K130PLEE or a J130PXEE, listed at the beginning of my factory service manual. I got those numbers from the Johnson Service Manual 1999EE that I've had for years. The pic I sent you came from this manual and it matches my engine exactly.
Anyway, when I back out the screw, it does nothing to the idle. If you not familiar with that type of linkage shown on my pic, I'm not sure you'll be able to help me.
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** is actually advancing the timing. # ***** is the screw you are turning. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1999/J130PLEED/CYLINDER%20&%20CRANKCASE/parts.htmlNow the carburetors have an adjustable idle jet have you checked that adjustment? What is the engine idling at now?
Yes I am I posted the diagram pointing to the same screw. This is an idle adjustment screw but it is advancing the timing. If your carbs are out of adjustment and the engine isn't running correctly that won't change the idle noticeably. The idle screw doesn't go out of adjustment so you have another issue. Have you verified that you are firing on all cylinders by doing a cylinder drop test?
Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow when I'm at the boat.
Can we leave this open till I get back to you?
Ok typically when the idle starts to drop it is a spark or carburetion issue not linkage adjustments. Try choking the engine for just a moment does the rpms increase? Do the cylinder drop test also. Post back with findings.
fyi....rain today, rain tomorrow...going to check on the motor at the marina and run test...asap
Ok that's fine whenever you get to it. I'm not going anywhere and am in no rush.
Regarding this statement you made above...."Now the carburetors have an adjustable idle jet have you checked that adjustment? What kind of driver fits the head of that adjustment screw? It's hard to make out in that little hole in the carb? I would like to try that.I did the cylinder drop test and they were all firing.
The red arrow points the the idle jet. This is a hex drive. I don't recall the exact size but I thing it is 1/8. http://i.imgur.com/5JZ4856.jpg?1
Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician