Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Stingray 250 CS , the Volt meter went out, its part of 3 inst…

Customer Question
Stingray 250 CS , the...
Stingray 250 CS , the Volt meter went out, its part of 3 inst cluster, the fuel Qty works, and the eng water temp works, Question of course is !. is it the gauge or were ever the gauge gets its information from. 2. is the ignition switch were it comes from?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
5/31/2015
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Voltmeters look for one thing and one thing only, "voltage" to get what it needs it needs a power and a ground, that is it. This means one wire to it will have 12vdc + and the other will be a ground. (some have an extra power for a light) So using a voltmeter you can check using battery as the power or ground (don't use both voltmeter wires for testing, this means do not test the voltmeter power by using the voltmeter ground unless the voltmeter ground is confirmed good, same goes for testing power from ground, best point is direct from battery).
If you have power and ground then the meter is bad, missing power trace the wiring on the helm/console to where the power comes from including breaker/fuses, the problem is generally at the console. Same goes for the ground esp since it only being 1 gauge that is the problem.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.