Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

My Yamaha gp1200 can be started if I bypass the starter button.

Customer Question
I put in the code...
My Yamaha gp1200 can be started if I bypass the starter button. I put in the code and it only stays active for the blink of an eye if I try the starter. I replaced the solenoid but that wasn't the problem. I don't want to rig my machine like my friends want ( they just want to get on the water.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
5/30/2015
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 2 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Thank you for your question. I am happy to help you in fixing your GP1200 and getting it back to working like it was designed to do.
I do have a few questions for you first however.
First, what year is your GP1200? They have changed the PADLOCK system over the years and work a little differently.
Second, has any service work, repairs or modifications been made to the boat, especially recently relative to when this problem started showing up?
When did the problem start showing up? Was it running fine one day then the next it wouldn't start? Or was it starting fine the last time it was used then did it sit for awhile and not want to start with the starter button after sitting?
Does the digital display all work normally now?
Could you go into more detail about the code only holding for a few seconds? It sounds like you can set a code, then put it in to unlock the starting, and if you act very quickly, it will start, if you wait too long, the code is no longer working?
Thanks Customer
Any luck yet? I sent my reply yesterday to all your questions.
Here they are again. 1997. Stator 1.5 years ago. Problem started at beginning of season, fine last time I ran it before sitting up. Display is fine. Code won't stay on long enough to try and start .
Thank you for the additional information.
Just so I am leaving no stone unturned, are you attempting to disconnect the grey wire with the blue connector and set a code, then plug it back in to attempt to start it? I want to be clear on what you are experiencing as you try to start it.
Have you checked the battery voltage this season? Also, I suggest checking all ground (black) wires, including the ones inside the electrical box mounted on the rear bulkhead of the engine compartment.
Thanks, Customer
No the code is set already. New battery. Grounds checked
I suggest re-setting the code. Those early model Pad Lock systems were quirky to say the least. Many a problem has been resolved just by resetting the code.
The reason I am leaning that way is your reference to "I put in the code and it only stays active for the blink of an eye if I try the starter."
It is too easy to reset to not try, and there is a very good chance it will resolve the issue. Customer
That didn't work. Same results as before
OK. Thank you for trying. Were you able to check the battery voltage? If you can it would be most helpful to test the voltage before you try to crank it to get a base line voltage then also see what it drops down to as you crank it (voltage drop test). A digital volt meter would be best. This will help us check to see if the battery is healthy or not. Also, I suggest checking all the ground (black) wires inside the electrical box mounted on the rear bulkhead of the engine compartment for signs of corrosion or possibly any loose connections. While you are checking, I would look at all the connections between the harness and the handlebars/instrument panel.
Let me know how it goes.
Thanks Customer
RSRBOB
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician