Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a new mercury 150 four stroke. Noticed oil sheen on…

Customer Question
I have a new mercury...
I have a new mercury 150 four stroke. Noticed oil sheen on water after stopping after a long run. Noticed oil on top of cavation plate on front of motor where the two side housings join. Used to work on mercury outboards xr4 xr6. I removed left side housing exposing drive shaft and motor mount. Oil all over motor mount and surrounding area. It appears to me the oil could very well be leaking from crankshaft seal. Motor has less than 15 hours on it. Any suggestions or do you know of any problems with oil leaks on this motor.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
These engines don't have any known history of oil leaks, but defects do happen Being under warranty what would you like to do? What kinds of questions do you have?
Just trying to do some research on this motor and someone familiar with it. Being under warranty will be taking it back to dealer it was purchased from for problem solving and repair. Talked to him and this is the second 150 four stroke being brought to him for the same problem. I have pictures of oil sheen and oil on and under side cover for dealer and mercury rep. Thanks Jack
Hi Jack,
From my experience these engines do not have a known history of engine oil leaks. There are no service bulletins or service advisories on the engines in regards ***** ***** leaks either. Flukes do happen and I will also say for the dealer to tell you that this is the 2nd 150 with the same problem is premature. Realistically the dealer does not know anything until the mechanic takes it apart and finds the leak. Does that make sense?