Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

My electric toilet won't suck up water and I already replaced

Customer Question
the impeller in the motor...
My electric toilet won't suck up water and I already replaced the impeller in the motor
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Can I get the make and model on the head? When did this problem start? When did it last flush correctly?
Hi I'm Efim. Bought this boat with broken toilet.jabsco###-##-####
Hi Efim,
###-##-####is a part number for a macerator pump that would be located near the waste tank. Did you replace that pump or another pump? Do you have the actual model number of the toilet itself?
Nope just replaced the impeller inside the pump
If you disconnect the outlet of the pump and fill the toilet with water, and flush it, will water exit the pump?
Yup toilet flushes fine. Just doesn't want to suck up water. Valve is open. I put a one way valve on the intake hose and filled it with water. Still a no go
Is the holding tank full? Has that been pumped out yet?
Holding tank empty
Are we talking about the same pump, the one that is mounted at the toilet itself?
Yes
What do you mean by sucking up water?
Water needs to come in to toilet to flush. I hold the button, waste goes out (if there is water in the bowl) but there isn't water coming in to flush
Okay, the water inlet will have a seacock, is that open?
Yes it's open. I even put a one way valve attatchment after the seacock then filled the inlet Hose full of water. And still nothing happens
Are you familiar with what a vented loop is, or another word for it is called siphon break. Have you heard those words before and do you know how it pertains to your toilet?
Also, if I send you something an you open up PDF files?
Never heard of that. Yes should be able to open a pdf
You didn't give me a model number on the head itself. But most of them install like this. Click this link and just give it a quick browse. Does this look like your toilet?
http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/jabsco/51017F.pdf
If that looks like your setup then just let me know, and I will explain the purpose of the vented loop.
Yup that's the one
Got it, see the vented loop?
When you hit the flush what happens is the flapper inside the toilet opens up. The motor runs, and draws waste out of the toilet. At the same time the toilet also tries to draw water in from the water source (be it fresh water tank or seawater source). The way the vented loop works is like this. There is a vent on the top of the loop, this vent is open to atmosphere. When you hit flush, the vent closes and seals. And the pump can "suck" water from the water sourse. After it has done filling the vent opens back up. that is how it is suppsoed to work. The reason they do this, and the reason that vented loop is also called a siphon break. Is because if there was no mechanical vent valve on top what can happen if the boat rolls the right way is water can start siphoning from the water sourse to the toilet. And this siphon would last indefinitely, until the toilet overflows and the boat sinks. The idea of the vented loop is that if the boat does take a roll, and a little bit of extra water gets in, a siphon can not start on it's own. What happens with these units is the solenoid valve fails, or gets dirty and does not seal. When that happens what the toilet pump does is it sucks air in through that vent valve instead of sucking in water from the water source. Does that make sense? -Jason
Yup. But the way it's set up worked before. With out the vented loop. Now it doesn't work
If the boat has been running the entire time without a vented loop that is not safe. So if that is the case. Then either the impeller in the pump is installed incorrectly, the pump is bad, or there is a leaky fitting between the pump and the water source, and the pump is sucking air through that leak just like it would suck through the vented loop
To test for this what you need to do is get a 5 gallon bucket and some hose. Remove the pumps inlet hose, and install the spare hose on it. Fill the 5 gallon bucket up with water, and stick the hose in it. Flush the toilet. If the toilet/pump draws from the 5 gallon bucket, the pump is good and there is a leaking fitting between the pump and water source. If the pump does not draw from the bucket, the pump is bad or the impeller is installed incorrectly. That is how it gets troubleshot, does that make sense to you Efim?
Yup I will try that when I'm available
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the toilet or do you think that covers it? --Jason
We'll see when the trouble shooting gets done
Okay post back if you have any further questions on this.
Thanks
Jason
Good morning, just checking in, any luck?
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic