Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Ho jason is Antonello here, writing from dubai, i have just

Customer Question

Ho jason is Antonello here, writing from dubai, i have just purchased a seaswirl sstriper 2150 with what seem to be a volvo penta 5.7 gl from fort myers and is about to be shipped to my country, italy, now since i. Italy is required ti have the declaration of power for any marine engine i turned to volvo italy and asked for it, they can help me but they need the serial number, the seller said that the metal plate fell off and send me a number starting with 14..... But volvo doesn't recognize it..... Is there any other location where j could find the actual serial number??? Thanks a lot
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/template/store/volvopenta/help.html

In the event that the serial number decals and tag are missing there is not much else to be able to know the serial number. You can turn the the transom plate and outdrive serial numbers for their info but not the engine. Hopefully the above will help the seller if the info is still readable and intact otherwise you may need to just see if volvo can provide the info you seek on an n/a penta engine 5.7 gl from 1997.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The seller has found some stamped numer near the intake manifold and there is the manifacturing date 03 /1996 and then the folllowing number.###-##-####do you know what this is? I could even send u a pict if u have an address
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Antonello,

That number appears to be a block casting number which is from the manufacture (gm for instance) which would only provide minimal info such as engine ci like 5.7 350, how many bolt main, etc and not the info you seek unfortunately. I have a feeling it's directly on the block on the rear.

Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Joe, so it is possible the serial number is ***** in the block itself, so not all hope is lost, the rear you mean the transom right? is it usuallly down or visible , any help would be great, What the initial number could be?
Thanks
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Antonello,

The placement I was referring to was where the seller most likely located the casting number. Casting numbers as block based, serial numbers are complete engine per say to keep it simple and are limited to the plate and decals only.... Sadly they are not usually stamped into anything, this is why some manufactures in the manual/paperwork write down the serial numbers.

Try to ask the seller if perhaps it may be in the bilge after it fell off. Them falling off is also usually a good sign of some point even small of rust/corrosion.

Thanks,
Joe
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Antonello,

I noticed something that I needed to correct where I stated "they are not usually stamped into anything" I meant anything other than the plate, they serial number is ***** stamped into the plate but not on the engine itself.

Thanks,
Joe