Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My 120 hp force outboard motor does not idle, I have to give…

Customer Question
My 120 hp force...
My 120 hp force outboard motor does not idle, I have to give it throttle manually before it shifts into gear, will not shift into reverse, it dies, but runs great when we can get it to shift into gear. found a loose nut on part of the throttle assembly, tightened it, didn't help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
5/28/2015
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Has the motor been siting unused for some time?
How old is the fuel?
When it does idle, what is the RPM?
just bought the boat and it had a half a tank, did not check the RPMS when I had it in idle, so not sure.
Ok, first, check that fuel for water.
Did the owner start it for you when you bought it?
Did the boat look like it had been sitting?