Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

There I have a 35 hp Johnson motor and I have no power at

Customer Question
Hi there I have a...
Hi there I have a 35 hp Johnson motor and I have no power at the key how can I solve this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
5/27/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.

Lets do a few simple things. A 12 volt test light or multimeter will help.
Take off the engine cover. Locate the starter solenoid. Coming from the starter solenoid is the large positive battery cable and a smaller red wire. This wire should have a small inline fuse holder. In the fuse holder is a small 20 amp glass fuse. Check this fuse, more than likely your problem.
Post back and we can go from there.
Thanks
Tried that fuse is good not sure how the wires go to the battery, they got all tangled up and not sure where they go, also we disconnected the killed switch cause the switch was buggerd does the wire have to be connected, when u turn the key it does nuthin
The kill switch only stops the ignition it doesn't prevent the engine from turning over. If the fuse is OK then check for 12 volts on the red wire on the back of the key switch if it is in dash.
Make sure the large plug of the harness is tight.
Make sure the control is in neutral, move the handle back and forth while turning the key. If still nothing you need to check for voltage on the key switch. If the switch is in the control you'll need to pull it apart.
Are all the wires at the engine connected?
Yes all wires are connected at the engine there is 12 volts at the motor I'll check the key and see tonight and get back too you
Great.
There is power to the key, but when u touch a heavy wire to positive side on battery and touch the starter it will start and u can shut it off with the key, when u start it with the key there's nuthin it's dead
By jumping to the starter you are bypassing the key and wiring. The key is also stopping the engine because the stop circuit, black and black/yellow wires are OK.
Check for voltage on the red wire. If voltage then check for voltage on the yellow/red wire on the key switch when turned to start. If voltage there the key switch is OK.
Is your key switch in the control box or separate on the dash?
You have a neutral start switch in the control box. This must close the circuit to start the engine. The yellow/red wire that goes to the starter solenoid.
Post back answers to these checks and questions.
The key is in the box there is power there, but no voltage with yellow/ red to starter solenoid has no voltage everything else is correct
Chances are your neutral start switch, a small switch inside the control is broken or loose. You will have to take the control off, open it up and check the switch. It has two yellow/red wires going to it.
Which control do you have? Do you need help opening it?
I'm off at 12 back in the morning here est.
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic