Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2003 dt 150 efi Suzuki will go in gear thottle up…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 dt...
I have a 2003 dt 150 efi Suzuki will go in gear thottle up but not back down
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
We will need to determine if it is the control, cable or linkage.
Remove the engine cover from the motor.
Engine OFF.
Have a helper shift the control to forward gear and slowly advance the throttle while you turn the propeller. This ensures engagement and allows full throttle. As the throttle advances is the link arm moving smoothly?
Look at the throttle body, the large opening into the engine in the front. The link arm has a socket on it that connects to a ball on the underside of the throttle body. As you move the throttle does the linkage on the throttle body move? Bring it back to neutral, does it move back to idle position?
If the linkages are ok, on top of the throttle body is a throttle position sensor, tps. This tells the "computer" the position of the throttle. It is held in place by two screws. Are the screws in place? Are they loose allowing the tps to move?
If they are loose or missing they need to be put back in or tightened and the tps set. If you look at the tps it is plastic and will have marks from where the screws were. For now that is close enough.
I have a feeling the tps is loose allowing it to rotate when it shouldn't this tells the computer it is advancing but not coming back to idle.
Check this and post back what you find.
Thanks