Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a 1990 searae and i painted the bottom.have a problem…

Customer Question
have a 1990 searae and...
have a 1990 searae and i painted the bottom.have a problem with my inhull depthfinder...my michanic.says remove the top of the bepthfind and there is a plug?.how can i get the plug and do i have to remove the hole depthfinder ,toget to the plug .
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
5/26/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
I am suspecting he is telling you to remove a cover to access the transducer, not the depth finder. However I'm not sure what that will accomplish. If the transducer is faulty you could replace it. Many times if too many layers of hull paint or paint with a too high metal content then the transducer just won't work correctly.
What did your mechanic tell you to do with the transducer? Replace it?
Post back when you can.
he told me to remove the plug(where is the plug) he also said i need to put a different plug back in immediatley .were do i get the 2nd plug.also is the round mechinism in the engine compartment the transducer.
The transducer is usually round,but sometimes a square shape, and glued to the inside bottom of the boat. It will have a wire harness about 1/4" diameter coming from it.
I have no idea what plug he is talking about. Why is he having you remove the transducer? It is not a difficult job if you know the systems. You can't cut the cable. You'll need to epoxy it back if removed, but removal is difficult as well.
There are some through hull transducers as well. But they are not referred to as plugs.
Can you ask him to explain a little better and then I can help further. But without seeing the transducer, nor the unit or knowing what needs to be done, my hands are kind of tied right now.
i have the manuel which ia garman fishfinder 300c.does this help.in the engine compartment is a 3 inch round transducer which has a wire attached to the top of it witch the top1/4 comes off with a open space with nothing in it.
Is there a model number on the transducer? On the 300C are you getting an error message "Transducer disconnected"?
What exact problem are you having?
Can you take a picture of the transducer?
voltage is reading no problem but depth is wacky
Is this with the boat in the water?
Does it act up in the water in neutral, not moving?
You may have to install a new transducer or install a transom mounted transducer with nothing to interfere with the signal.
yes the boat is in the water and giving me wrong depth
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello, I noticed your request for a phone call. Unfortunately, that's not something I'm able to do. I'm happy to continue corresponding with you here directly on your question page. Or if you prefer, I can opt out of your question and open it to other Experts who may be able provide the additional service to you. Let me know!
Hi, I'm not able to call at this time. Would you like to continue to work here?