Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I am having trouble reconnecting the shift rod to horizontal

Customer Question

I am having trouble reconnecting the shift rod to horizontal shift shaft. Not enough of the horizontal shaft exposed to show groove to reconnect clip on 1999 Mercury 25 hp elh. Installing completely new lower unit.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Do you have the lower unit in forward gear? This will be the shift rod pulled up and the prop shaft locked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, i think so.....the pin for the clip appears to be through the hole in the shift rod but the groove on the horizontal shaft is not exposed for the clip to slidee in to.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Can you check that you are in forward gear? Before you push the lower unit up put the control in forward. Then slide the lower unit up. Is the shift rod exposed now? I can't see what you are referring to so can you post a picture of what is happening? Here are instructions for uploading. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot tell if my pictures are sent or attached.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Go to the other side of the engine and push in on the shift shaft. It should slide through so you can lock it in place.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert I hope that did the trick for you. Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is how I get credit for helping you. Thank you......Tan