Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2013 50 HP E-Tec that showed a low oil warning. After…

Customer Question
I have a 2013 50...
I have a 2013 50 HP E-Tec that showed a low oil warning. After adding oil the engine will not advance beyond fast idle. How do I reset the engine?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/25/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with?
Was the error "low oil" or was it "no oil", it makes a difference so please be sure.
How long did you run it for after adding oil to the tank, just a minute, or 4 or 5 minutes?
My name is***** had a low oil warning and It has been run in excess of ten minutes since oil was added.
Hi Willard. Are you running XD30 oil, 50, or the XD 100?
XD50
The system is self reseting after the engines computer counts 3 pulses from the oil pump. It might take a bit more than 10 minutes of run time for that to actually happen. Can you go run it for another 15 to 20 minutes and let me know if it resets or not.
Yes I can. How do I get back to you?
You can reply back here at any time. You get emails every time I reply directing you back to the website. Just make sure you come back to the website, and do not hit reply to any emails you may get.
Jason
Jason, I stand corrected on what happened. The NO OIL light was on, oil added and the light went out. Willard
Got it. Do you have a decent quality volt/ohm meter and do you know how to take resistance measurments?
Someone here may have that, what would be next?
With the engine off. Disconnect the oil pumps electrical wire and then measure the resistance between the 2 wires that run into the oil pump.
I think I will need to take the engine to a Johnson dealer.
You might.... Everything is computer controlled on the engine and there is only so much you can do with a handheld voltmeter. On the resistance test your looking for right around 22 ohms ballpark. If you didn't get that, then the oil pump would clearly be bad. But if you to get that then you have to keep looking elsewhere which requires the diagnostic laptop. Does that make sense?
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic