Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2011 Hurricane 2400SD with the Mercruiser 5.0 MPI…

Customer Question
I have a 2011 Hurricane...
I have a 2011 Hurricane 2400SD with the Mercruiser 5.0 MPI engine. I keep getting a single 2-second beep every 1 minute whether I am idling or running at any RPM, and it even seems to happen if I'm at dock and the engine is off, with the key turned ON. All my fluids seem full, but I don't know where to look. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
5/24/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with?
In your car, the cars engine has a dozen or so difference sensors on it. And if you have any kind of sensor on it go bad it will light up the check engine light, and that means it's time to have the engine scanned with a scan tool to pull the codes and see what is causing it. The boats engine does not have a check engine light, but instead an audible alarm system. The 2 beep alarm is the equivalent of a check engine light, and you would do the same thing with the boat that you would do with the car. Does that make sense?
Yes, but I am getting 1 beep every 1 minute. The marina checked the code and suspects it's an "oxygen sensor" and he reset the alarm, so I drove around for about 30 minutes, shut off the engine and then after I started it again the alarm started it's same pattern again. Is there any way to confirm that this is the problem before bringing it back to marina again? Is there any way for me to buy the diagnostic connector and the same software that the marina is using? I am an electrical engineer and also take care of own engines for most of my life, but now with this new boat I am at a loss.
Hmmm... Check the gear lube monitor bottle on the engine, is there any gear oil in it?
Hello, were you able to check the gear lube monitor to see if that was full?
The gear lube monitor jar is over about 7/8 full, not quite to the full line, but most of the way there. (I had to travel back to my boat today to check.)
Just for the heck of it, disconnect the wires at the bottom of the gear lube monitor. Do you still get the alarm or does it stop?
Just checking in. Any luck?