Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have Mercury Marine 9.9 outboard motor it start last week…

Customer Question
I have Mercury Marine 9.9...
I have Mercury Marine 9.9 outboard motor it start last week for the first time , new gas, but today it is not starting. The primer look like it was not getting any fuel. any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/23/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** do I have the pleasure of speaking with?
Can you be more specific by what you mean by "the primer looks like it was not getting any fuel"? Could you not feel fuel flow through it when pumping?
Hi my name is***** tried pumping the primer with no luck of fuel in the primer. When I got back to shore and tried the primer again i got a little fuel the primer from the fuel tank is full of fuel. Could this be a air lock?
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Hi Dean
So if you are pumping but not getting fuel there is 1 of 4 potential problems.
1. The bulb is bad, and the check valves inside of it are not working correctly.
2. There is a leaky fitting or hose between the bulb and the fuel at the bottom of the tank, and the bulb is sucking air in through that leak.
3. There is a blockage
4. The fuel tank is not venting.
Troubleshooting is fairly simple. Start by opening the fill cap up. If it works, the fuel tank is not venting. If nothing, remove the fuel line from the fuel fitting and then just stick the fuel line down into the tank, and into the gas, and try it. If it does not work, the bulb is bad. If it does work, there is either a blockage in the tank (Usually crap floating around at the bottom). Or there is a leak on the threaded hose barb that the fuel line connects to at the tank. And air is getting sucked in through that leak.
Does that all make sense?
can I do this on dry land or does the motor have to be in water?
This can all be done on land. The engine really doesn't have to be running to check these items.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it?
I the only thing I can do is try it and see if it works. I will get back to tomorrow
You are most welcome and I was glad I could help. Post back if it gives you any more troubles.
Thank you,
Jason
Hello, just checking in, any luck?
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic