Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Changed impeller on 28 johnson. Wont shift into forawrd gear..Dropped…

Customer Question
Changed impeller on 28 johnson...
Changed impeller on 28 johnson. Wont shift into forawrd gear..Dropped lower end, put everything into forward, reconnected linkage, same problem
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/22/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. Could I get the engine model number please?
J28eslesm
Did you by chance remove the pivot screw? # *****? When you had the gearcase off and shifted everything into forward did you verify the prop locked in forward? http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1990/J28ESLESM/GEARCASE/parts.html
Pivot screw. Is that where the upper linkage hooks up with the lower. The prop locks into forward with likage dicnnocted but difficult
I just checked on pivot screw. No i didnt
Are you sure you got the screws in the connector # ***** in the notch of the shift rod # *****?
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1990/J28ESLESM/GEARCASE/parts.html
Yes sir it is. Ive replaced the screw and triple checked it. On my above statement i didnt mean linkage, i meant cable. I can shift into forward at the actuator but it wont stay in and is difficult
Ok do this disconnect the cable and check that the lower unit shift correctly. We have to be sure we don't have a lower unit issue. Then I need you to shift the engine into forward gear check that the prop is locked in gear. Now shift the control into forward gear. Now install the shift cable. If the cable doesn't line turn the cable adjust knob so it will line up. Now check shift does it work correctly?
With the cable disconnected i can shift into forward but it wants to ease out. Neutral and reverse are fine. When i put lever into forward and reattached cable samething. Im out of cable ajustment. Only stays in gear when pressure is applied to shift lever on motor
Did the shift work ok before you did the water pump?
No problems at all. Took it out on the delta in march and it ran great, covered alot water in two days. Changed the impeller because i figured it was time. Problem didnt arise until i put it back together.
Did you take any of the bottom part of the lower unit apart?
I can only assume its something that ive done
Only the pump housing and impeller
Now you absolutely sure you didn't remove the pin. The pin gets confused with the drain plug all the time. It's the only thing that you could have done causing the exact issue you are having.
Ill dble check, but when i changed the impeller i replaced part number 44 and 45 upper and lower
Ok then you didn't remove the pin don't remove the pin. Have you reassembled everything and put it in the water and tested it?
Is the pivot pin closest to the prop or is the drain
Closest to the drain.
Its all reassemble
How are you determining it is not staying in gear?
Only tested in garbage can full of water
Did you ever check the shift before you did the water pump in the garbage can?
Prop wont spin in forard unless pressure is applied
No.
There is nothing you did that could have changed the way the engine shifts. Your sure the connect screw is in the notch on the top and bottom shift rod.
Yes sir. The cover is off and i can see it go up and down when i shift
Yes but are the screws in the notch. There is a notch that the screws fit into on the shaft. I have seen them miss and only catch part of the connector.
Im leaning on that. The part or the connector i dis connected seems to be showing part of the notch, any tips on getting it seated
Completely remove the screw from the connector then with a pair of needle nose pliers pull up on the lower shift rod and shift towards reverse with the shift lever. This will push the connector down on the bottom shift rod. Then tighten the screw. If you removed the screw from the top of the connector do the same with that screw.
Did that work?
Please keep me posted.