Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Have 2012 Yamaha AR210. Starboard side over heating alarm goes

Customer Question

Have 2012 Yamaha AR210. Starboard side over heating alarm goes on after 15/20 minutes. Oil level is good,Checked for debrie, ports seem to be streaming water. You have any suggestions?
Jim Sacks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jim, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
Is the engine actually overheating? Have you verified the temps with any kind of thermomometer/temp gun?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no,if i had one, where do i point it and what type do i get? What should the temp read. If that dosnt work, what next. Or if temp is ok, what is the next thing I do
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
There are two temperature switches on the engine (thermoswitch is what Yamaha calls it). There is one on the side of thee engine block, and one on the exhaust pipe.
Click this link to pull up a picture. It is a full size picture so it might look funny on a computer screen, but it will print to 8x11 paper just fine. The thermoswitches are #1 and 10 in the picture.
http://i.imgur.com/0NZ5PGC.jpg
What you want is an IR temp gun. Click this link, this is an example of what I mean.
http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-Temperature-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432298051&sr=8-2&keywords=ir+temp+gun
Next what you want to do is duplicate the problem first. And then scan the 2 areas of the engine where those thermoswitches are located. The temps should run about 160-165F. If they are, then 1 of the thermostwitches is defective, and you just unplug each one and see which one shuts off the alarm to see which one is bad.
If you are running hot. You would want to have the engine compression tested, and possibly leakdown tested in order to look for a head gasket leak.
Does that all make sense?