Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

1986 OMC #574sphrcok. When I shift into forward, everything…

Customer Question
1986 OMC #574sphrcok. When I...
1986 OMC #574sphrcok. When I shift into forward, everything works right. The cut out switch works as it should, but when I shift into reverse, the motor shuts off. Does it sound like the cut out switch, or the overstroke switch, both or the shift assist module?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
5/21/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello My name is***** will be helping you. This is typically cause by a stiff shift cable. Disconnect the shift cable from the shift bracket now move the shift cable by hand is is stiff especially going to reverse? This can be caused by the bell crank in the bell housing getting corroded with water. Many times just pulling the drive and cleaning the bell crank fixes the issuer.