Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I recently had my 43' boat, which is equipped with a pair of

Customer Question

I recently had my 43' boat, which is equipped with a pair of 2010 IPS 600's serviced. The tech reported water in the pods and quoted to repair. The repair was duly carried out and at the same time she had the anti foul and prop speed renewed.
On the sea trial she performed nicely on the outward run and reached 31 knots quite easily. We stopped and tested the pods through the full range of functions then set back to the ship yard. During the return run we could only bring her up to 26.5 knots so we called the tech, who was in the engine bay monitoring the engines, to the fly bridge for his opinion. To cut to the quick, the techs comment was that the engines were within the prescribed rev parameters so in his opinion there was nothing wrong. We did two more test runs over the same stretch of water and could only obtain 26.5 knots. The Volvo service agent holds the same position.
Can anyone offer an opinion as to the reason for the lost top speed?
His employer back this position
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
I would like you to clarify a few things so I have a better idea of what is going on.
You wrote "My position is that the loss of speed occurred only after the IPS had been repaired the tested"
And you also wrote "On the sea trial she performed nicely on the outward run and reached 31 knots quite easily."
When the boat was traveling at 31 knots this was after the repair, correct?