Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 1969 85hp Johnson outboard that quit running out on

Customer Question

i have a 1969 85hp Johnson outboard that quit running out on the lake. it would try to fire 1 time and then no more. have spark at all plugs, compression is 103-110 in every piston.cid unit is good , rectifier is good, points are set at .010. some how timing has jumped and I do have they motor at least backing firing now but the manual I have isn't very good on describing how set the timing.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am also getting spark at the battery when I first connect it. thought it might be possibly the electric choke system because the engine turned over and backfired by just pushing the choke switch. disconnected choke system and am still getting spark at the battery when I connect to motor.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
The "spark" simply indicates a circuit is connected under some type of load, what I mean by that is something is using electric which can sometimes be normal. At the same time this could indicate something has been left on, something is shorted, something is stuck on, the easiest way is to preform a draw test and pull fuses one at a time putting each back after test to see which stops the draw, this may also at the same time resolve the ignition problem. You also then need to check why it jumped timing, if it truly jumped time then the very first thing to do is check why, jumping time is not as simple as resetting the timing this instead indicates an actual problem and the number one reason is usually due to a sheared flywheel key.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.