Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1999 Searay 19 ft Cuddy Cabin. Last fall I had it

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Searay 19 ft Cuddy Cabin. Last fall I had it in the shop to have some work done to it. The outdive was remove to change the seal for the leg oil. Put it in the water yesterday for the first time. When the boat planes out the nose seems to be higher than before and when I hit the trim button it over revs and loses power.
How can I tell if the leg is all the way in the down position?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. Look at the drive it should be at a 90 degree angle to the transom of the boat. When you trim down the trim pump will change sounds when the drive is all the way down. There is a pressure relief valve when the drive is down that opens. Does the trim pump sound different when you hit the down button? If the engine is revving when trimming then you are trimming up not down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The trim is working correctly. Up goes up and down goes down.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok then what is your concern?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine over revs and loses power when i try to put it on plane by bringing the bow up.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the drive in the full down tilt when getting on plane? Is the engine revving after you get on plane and trim up? Will the engine run up to full throttle without trimming up the drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Soon as I touch the trim up button it over revs and loses power. Without trimming up the engine will run normal at full throttle.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok what does the prop look like is there any damage to the prop? Is this a different prop from before? In you initial statement you said the bow seems to be riding higher than normal. Have you looked at the drive to be sure it is going all the way down?Do you have any vibration? Has there been any work been done to the boat hull? Have you had any depth finder transducers added to the boat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything is the same as before. The only thing different is the work that was done at the marine repair shop.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
All they did was remove the drive and replace a seal. That shouldn't have changed anything. Is there something they could have done. R & R of the drive should not have affected anything.Is the boat riding higher than before? Have you verified the drive is going all the way down? Is the boat in the water or on a trailer now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On a trailer.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok tilt the drive all the way down. Then get a straight edge like a yard stick. Now put the straight edge on the bottom of the cavitation plate is the drive parallel with the bottom of boat or is the drive angled the back of the plate is lower than the front of the plate?The cavitation plate is the flat plate just above the prop.