Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Johnson 40VR outboard with oil reservoir.does not like to start

Customer Question

Johnson 40VR outboard with oil reservoir.does not like to start after sitting for about 8 yrs. once it starts it sounds good but stalls. There is a tiny gas leak on top of the fuel pump, too small to see it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you.Could I get the complete engine model number please?Have you rebuilt the carburetors yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI, CJ40ELCCS

We have only removed the fuel pump so far, the carb looks ok

Mike in Toronto ON

Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
I can tell you from experience the carbs will be gummed up after sitting for 8 years unless the carbs were drained completely. Do you have the conventional fuel pump or the VRO pump? This engine came with both. Both pumps are repairable. Kits are available foe both. Both pumps are still available also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is an electrical pump.

Local info is, that it is not available anymore.

Do you know a supplier for the pump or the kit.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
This motor did not come with an electric fuel pump. Why has someone put an electric fuel pump on this engine? It is not factory. Now are you sure it is electric and not a VRO pump. Here is what a VRO pumnp looks like.http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/attachments/pump2-jpg.148481/