Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

2007 sailfish 218...F150 Yamaha 4s....started time

Customer Question
2007 sailfish 218...F150 Yamaha 4s....started...
2007 sailfish 218...F150 Yamaha 4s....started for first time this season....charged battery, started fine...idled fine.....tried to take it up to speed...engine kind of shook, bogged down...never completely stalled....water in gas.....suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
i also forgot to treat fuel or fill tank up before winter
5/11/2015
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Do you have water in the fuel now?
Sorry but how would I know?.......after it did it twice I just idled back to dock and left it.....I don't know how to look for water in fuel or what to do when water is in fuel
Do you have the full model number of the engine handy? I can look up your fuel system.
Sorry....all I know right now is yamaha f150 2007 4 stroke......I will try and find out more info on this
This diagram is the typical fuel system on that engine. Remove the cup on the filter, part 8. Pour what is inside the cup into a clear container. :Then hold that container around the filter, use the primer bulb to pump some fuel into your container. Allow it to sit for a few minutes. Is there more than one layer in the container?
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2006%20and%20Later/F150LA/FUEL%201/parts.html
Ok.....will try this.....do I need a special tool to remove filter?.....I was reading online that this may require a special tool?
Not for this engine it should not. The filter housing just screws to the base. Standard threads.
Assuming there is water in fuel line tank.....how do I correct?
Well you will need to either pump it out or have the fuel that is in the tank cleaned. then you will need to purge the engine fuel system with fresh clean fuel and get it running.
Is the boat on a rack or a trailer?
On my boat lift at dock.....how much should this cost if I take to service center.
that would depend on how much water is in it, if there is any at all. You would be looking at a few hundred to get the fuel cleaned of any water if that is the cause.
any other reasons besides water in fuel to cause issue?.....should probably replace water/separator filter anyway.....
There are several other items that could cause this. Fouled plugs, plugged fuel filters, a stuck ring on a piston, lack of fuel pressure, sticking injectors, a bad coil, or just a bad plug. If the alarm was going off, that would open a whole nother can of worms.
Ok....will advise.....thx
Alright, let me know. Weekdays I am at my day job until after 530 PM CST.
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic