Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I bought a 1999 v max 200 3 years ago .It ran good little

Customer Question

I bought a 1999 v max 200 3 years ago .It ran good for a little while and then if I was running over 3/4 throttle it would stall or die .I took it to dealer and they said they cleaned 02 sensor put in new plugs and filters.do to working out of town it was not till now I got to use it .I put it in water and it was still the same . I took home cleaned tanks, put new fuel new filters cleaned filter in vapor tank .still does same . put back in water and started and idled fine hit the gas and it will ramp up for just a second and stall or die.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. What is the model number on the engine? Also, the engine will need some troubleshooting in order to sort through the issue. What kinds of questions do you have and what were you looking to do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
v200tlrx
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Got the model number. the engine will need some troubleshooting in order to sort through the issue. What kinds of questions do you have and what were you looking to do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
like I said in first post it will start and idol perfect. it is when you try to take off it will bog down and if you keep the throttle pushed it will die
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
And your questions are?
When you go to the front page of the website it says ask an expert, get an answer. You are telling me what the engine is doing, but you are not actually asking me anything. I never pretend to know what somebodies questions are. In fact, the person I helped before you had some pretty deep engine problems, and told me everything that was wrong with their engine, but did not ask any kind of question. After asking that person what their questions were and How I could help them all they wanted to know was where there was a Volvo master tech near their area.
The deal is the engine will need some troubleshooting in order to sort through the issue. What kinds of questions do you have and what were you looking to do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
with what all has been done what would you look at next to make my boat run 70 mph again instead of 3 or 4
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like it is starving for fuel. When running at high rpm, have you tried having a helper pump the primer bulb over and over? Or tried running it off of a different fuel source? Or checked fuel pressure at max speed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the primer bulb will get hard .we have tried pumping but it still wont run over idle. we put fuel from a store with no ethanol
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does it have a rpm sensor that may be bad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the fuel psi is 35
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
No to the rpm sensor.
What will have to happen first is fuel pressure needs to be measured to see if the engine is actually starving for fuel or not. If it is, you would see fuel pressure drop just as the engine stalls out. Is that something you think you can do?
EDIT - Is that the fuel pressure as it stalls? Or just when it's running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is at idol as the motor stalls it will fall
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am thanking that it could be a bad high pressure pump. not enough volume? there should be enough fuel in vapor tank to get rpms up before running out of fuel shouldn't it
Expert:  Ted G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, let's see if I can help on your VMax. You should not be losing fuel pressure when it stalls so that is likely the issue. So we need to find out if it's the HP pump or the low pressure pumps not keeping up. Run the engine for a bit at idle. Then try to accelerate and have it stall. Now remove the drain plug at the bottom of the VST tank and see how much fuel drains out into a catch pan. If it's only an ounce or so then the HP Pump is being starved, so the LP pumps are failing. If several ounces drain out (as much as 8-10) then the HP Pump has enough fuel but cannot supply enough to the injectors and you need a new HP pump.