Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 89 searay pachanga 27 with twin mag 350's my starboard

Customer Question

I have a 89 searay pachanga 27 with twin mag 350's my starboard engine cranks normal but my port engine wont crank ,the ignition switch on the dash clicks off from the on position and no crank.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. There can be any number of things causing the issue. Do you have a voltmeter and do you know how to take voltage measurements?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes ,I have a power probe , but I'm not on the boat now.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
How did you want to do this? Did you have specific questions that you needed answers to, or wiring diagrams, or anything like that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wiring diagrams would be helpful ,and if you have ever run across this problem ,maybe its best if I contact you when I'm on the boat ?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I run across no starts a few times a week. When you turn the key to run, do the gauges for that keyswitch come alive each time you turn it on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
only for a second. when I switch the Ing. toggle to on gauges move, then toggle switches to off again
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
If you pull out the keyswitch. red is power in, purple would be ignition power out. What you would want to do is first make sure neither wire has corroded connections on them. If the connections look good, then you would want to set up your power probe and cycle the key back and forth and see if you are reliably getting 12V out of the keyswitch on the purple wire each time. The switches are not water proof, water does get in there, and a lot of times it is just a bad keyswitch. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure it does Jason .I own a garage cars and truck thou ,boats a little different. Can I test that switch tomorrow and give the test results then ?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing, there are no time limits here and questions never close out. Let me know what happens either way.
--Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to check that purple wire . Can' really get a volt reading toggle switches off .so I disconnected the purple from the switch and the engine cranks, Let me know what you think . Talk to you tomorrow, Norm
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Let me ask you this, by cranks... Is the engine turning over but not starting? Or is it not turning over at all?