Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I winterize my boat each year. However, again this year like

Customer Question

I winterize my boat each year. However, again this year like last year, I forgot to run the engine with the gas treatment. Last year, as a result, my carburetor, I think, was running horribly. Engine was always stalling. Anyways...I think I will need to repair the carburetor but I don't have a clue how or if that's even what I need to do. Please advice. My boat is an OMC Cobra V8 engine.
If I do need to repair the carburetor, can you tell me where and which parts to get? My Engine Model Number is: 232AMFTG
Engine Serial Number is: T0932580
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

A engine/carb should be able to sit without running a stabalizer in it and after winter start again, your not talking a year or so, a winter in terms of carb maint is short. Now if your using ethanol fuel and or fuel with issues then there could be issues. What tends to happen is the tiny bit of fuel in the carb turns much faster than the fuel in the tank now if the carb also wasn't cleaned the best previously this will only add to the problem. In the event that is the problem than the carb needs torn down and professionally cleaned which is the key to a successful rebuild (we aren't talking about a can of spray carb cleaner here) in some events this actually means an ultrasonic bath to clean correctly. Then a full oem rebuild kit, aftermarket can sometimes not contain all parts and or not of as good of quality however there are some aftermarket that are just as good or only option. The carb would determine which exact carb rebuild kit you require.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you know a good place I can get a full oem rebuild kit?

Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Morning John,

As reference I believe your model instead of 232AMFTG should actually be 232AMFTC where the G is actually a C. This should help you for future reference.

The oem carb kit part number that I am showing is(###) ###-#### ***** you can locate here: http://www.marinepartssource.com/newdetails.asp?pnumber=OMC984487&mfg=OMC&mfgno=0984487

You can view parts catalog here if you do not already have one that is: http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=73ac9f05-fe32-4ad4-9347-f9c9d9ec00dd&brands=ej&dealerlocator=no

Marine parts source which is the first website is a business that I do actually do business with so I can recommend them to you.

Thank you!

- Joe

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I called that company to order the kid, customer service told me that this number was for a f cylinder: 232AMFTC

But if you can see this pics, this definitely ain't a 4 cylinder. Please advice.

Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Afternoon John,

That is correct info from them, the model you provided was 232AMFTC with a g but there is no g only c and in any event 232 indicates 2.3l. This means you instead have a model starting with "504" if it's an '87.

From here it's very hard for me to know which model you have unless you can provide the model, in any event a 5.0l from 1987 for instance one example is 504amftc which uses a carb kit of(###) ###-####shown here: http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=a6553213-7b99-4241-8391-fbe836764b21&brands=ej&dealerlocator=no

Select stern drive>1987>5>504amftc.

Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hmmmnnnn...I see. Okay, I guess I'll just order it and keep my fingers crossed then. Sure seems to be the right one. Now, while I got you here, is there anything else I need to order with that?--ie., like a gasket sealant and/or anything else to do this job? How/where do I know which to pick?

I ran a search on ultrasonic bath carburetor and found some great tutorials.

I think I might as well replace all my spark plugs, which I already have, but I'll need the cables. This parts catalog page, however, shows 2 different kinds of Distributors. I don't know which is mine.

Thanks!

Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,

What possibly happened is the part the model is on was replaced and thus the incorrect model. At least it was hopefully easy enough to determine.

The distributor you should be able to either locate a part number on it and or compare the rotor to the picture as each are shown in the diagram. This way you can order a tune up kit, points and condensor as these are tune up components changed like spark plugs.

No sealant for the carb. But do make sure you order a good base gasket if you do not like what comes in the kit (this depends on which manufacture kit you choose) some can have cheaper base gaskets.

Thank you!

- Joe

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do these pictures tell you anything?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You mentioned a Tune-up kit. Where in that Parts catalogue can I find a tune-up kit? (I can't seem to find it)

Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Morning John,

For instance for the Mallory distributor: http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5251

Note that the kits are under the parts lists in the link I sent you under distributor, select the correct one then you will find the part number listed for "ignition tune up kit".

Unfortunately the pictures do not help, I did notice a few things though such as the spark plug wires should have looms or be tied so that do not dangle/flop around, the flame aresstor possibly is crushed down on the one side? If so then it should be replaced, these are also cleanable as sometimes they get dirty restricting flow, and for future info which is not a must just an observation, most use what you have so you should know it is normal, however, the hose clamps in terms of marine use they actually have ones thatdo not have the grooves/holes in them as these tend to cut into the hoses and weaken them where as the better marine ones do not cut into the hoses due to their design. This is not a requirement just something I like to point out.

Thanks,
Joe