Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2004 Yamaha T50...i replaced the trim tilt motor and

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Yamaha T50...i replaced the trim tilt motor and I'm having a hard time getting it to work right. I disconnected the unit from the boat and locked the motor in the up position. I opened the fill plug and added fluid until it ran out...replaced the fill plug and ran the motor up and down....did that several times but its still slow and there is a girgling sound as i near the top. There is a small Allen screw about 2.5 inches below the fill plug. Is that something i need to mess with to bleed the air or fill?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Was the trim fluid found to be low? Was there any evidence of water in the fluid? If you leave it trimmed up for say overnight, will it hold or will it drop back down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fluid was a little milky. Haven't had it trimmed up overnight...What about the screw below the fill plug?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Do you boat in saltwater or fresh? I'm not sure what you mean by the screw below the fill plug. Click this link to get to a parts diagram.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2004/T50TLRC/POWER%20TRIM%20&%20TILT%20ASSY%201/parts.html
Which screw are you referring to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maybe I'm filling wrong...should i fill with it with it all the way up or down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Meaning the trim tilit is all the way up tight at the motor
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
It would get filled with the unit all the way trimmed up.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
If water got in the unit that means there is a leak. Trim units are sealed units, they should never have milky trim fluid. And realistically trim fluid can never get low, as it is a sealed system. If the fluid is low it's because it is leaking somewhere. If water also got it, that can damage the valve body, especially if it's saltwater. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. It looks like you read my reply and logged off. I do want to make sure I get all your questions answered. Did you have any further questions on this, or was there anything else I could help you with?
--Jason