Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 1994 Kawasaki 750 Jet Ski with new battery and its

Customer Question
not turning over or nothing.....
I have a 1994 Kawasaki 750 Jet Ski with new battery and its not turning over or nothing... Fuse Is Good
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
5/5/2015
Marine Mechanic: Chris, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Chris
Chris, Marine Mechanic
Is the starter clicking when the start button is depressed? Have you tried to spin the engine over with the spark plugs out? Are you able to turn the engine from the PTO at the rear of the engine where the drive shaft connects?

The engine does spin with spark plugs out. I do not hear the starter clicking at all. I do have the fuel level sensor out of the tank. (Didn't think that would matter) just trying to hear or test if it fires up..

Lets see if you are able to spin the engine over by hand, often times after a period of storage, the impeller wear ring will develop rust inside and squeeze the impeller, resulting in a locked up engine or cant make I appear to be.

The impeller does spin. I can't get to it from the outside so grabbed 5he shaft 8n the hull and it spun..

Lets next check for voltage at the starter when the start button is depressed and the lanyard installed.

Ok I will have to open up the box and find the starter and have to get back to you as son as I can do that.

No problem, let me know what you find
You can test from the + for now.

Chris I tested from the positive on the starter to the negative on the battery and got no voltage with the start button pushed in and without and that's also with the safety around the stop

Ok you will need to take the electrical box apart at this point and inspect the starter solenoid. Look for broken connections, corroded wires, etc.

Next lets check for voltage at the red wire leading to the starter solenoid when the start button is depressed, if you find there is battery voltage and the starter is not spinning, the solenoid is faulty.

Also just wanted to check... it seems like the black is the negative from starter relay. The red/yellow is going to the start switch and the red wire is going to the fuel level indicator each had 12v with me not pressing anything.

So to be clear. The red wire does energize when the start button is depressed?
I mean do you get power to the wires in question when the start button is pressed in? We are trying to determine if the electrical system is telling the solenoid to send power to the starter, if it is, the solenoid is faulty.
The larger wires outside of the box are not in question right now, i am looking to see if the solenoid is receiving power when you push in the start button with the lanyard installed, if we are relieving power and the solenoid is not clicking, it is the issue here.

When you say solenoid do you mean the starter relay? Also the red wire looks like it is connected from the positive side of the battery so do you want me to check that or the red/yellow wire? Just want to clarify

Relay is the same component. Red/yellow wire appears to be the trigger wire. Does it have battery voltage when you press the green start button ?

Chris,

Just checked and the yellow/red line has a connection so i disconnected it and tested from the relay side of the line has voltage when press or not. Now the line going to the start button (same yellow and red) when the start is not pressed it has no voltage but when pressed it does have voltage . Do you need a photo of the line or you understand what I mean?

If that wire is sending power to the solenoid and it is not engaging the starter. The solenoid is bad.

Is there a way to jump it out to verify it is that and if so and that was the cause and I did replace it and it was the problem can there be anything else that would keep it from cranking?

It is not uncommon for that part to fail. If you jump the wire leading to the starter and the wire coming from the battery together at the solenoid, the starter should spin.

Chris,

I did do that and it turned over but wouldn't start I'm sure it will need some cleaning and all. But what would you recommend to do since it's been sitting for a bit. I did clean the carb and the gas sensor looked shot ty but will try cleaning it and measure resistance to see if it works. Is there anything else you feel I should try?

That tells us the starter is good. It will take some cranking to get fuel from the tank to the carb, i would not recommend you continue to crank the engine by jumping the solenoid.

Chris,

Thank you and will update you as I install it. I bought 1 yesterday. I will rate you as soon as I get it in just in case any other questions or the problems still arise. I appreciate your work so far

Sounds good

Chris,

I replaced the starter relay and it still is not working. I did jump the terminals from the starter to battery and it tries to run. Is there another way I can test something or can it be anything else?

Chris, Any other thing you can think of I just want to get it working and end this topic. Hope to hear from you soon.

Chris
Chris
Chris, Marine Mechanic