Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Father in law gave me a five horse kicker, two stroke. Looks

Customer Question

Father in law gave me a five horse kicker, two stroke. Looks pretty new, but has been in a garage for a while. I have got it started, it ran but the speed varied at the same setting. It would run for five minutes then die and would not restart for a while. I check the plug, fuel line, filter. It is the model that has an internal tank and can take a feed.
I have had it running twice now. The first time I realized I needed to open the top of the gas tank to let it vent. I don't know why it would not stay running the second time.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. Do you have fresh fuel in the fuel tank? If you choke the engine when it starts to die will it keep running? Could I get the engine serial number please?http://www.iboats.com/basics/mercuryserial.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a 2001, part# ***** 7where would I find the serial number?fresh gas just mixed today.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Open this link it will show the location of the serial number. http://www.iboats.com/basics/mercuryserial.jpg Does choking the engine help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oto23649 is the serial numberYes, choking helps but then it still dies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
taking the spark plug out and pulling a couple time also seems to reset it and I can start it.
b
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok choking indicates the carburetor is dirty. This is very common for engines that have been sitting unused. What happens is the fuel dries out and leaves a gummy residue in the carb. The engine will usually start the first time then get more and more difficult to start and won't stay running. The fresh fuel starts to dissolve the old fuel which breaks loose and starts clogging all the jets and ports. Remove the carb, disassemble, clean and install carb kit. Now many times you can reuse the gaskets and you don't need a kit. Just clean and reassemble. Before removing the idle jet screw it in till it seats counting the amount of turns in. This will help in the carb setting after you get it back together. Post back with questions and concerns.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there some spray in carb cleaner and that would work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there a fuel additive that would clean the carb?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
No the carb has to be disassembled. Spraying carb cleaner into the carb doesn't clean the internals of the carb. Additives don't work usually for a dirty carb. If you don't get the carb real clean it can cause a lean fuel condition and cause engine damage. You are better off just removing and disassembling to clean. That just goes in through the venturi and into the intake. The spray cleaner can be used on the carb when it is disassembled. Here is what we use to clean the carb with. Soak any parts that are real dirty and use compressed air to blow out passages that have been sprayed with carb cleaner. http://www.basspro.com/Quicksilver-Power-Tune/product/1301150903/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=1301150903&kpid=1301150903 Here is a link to the carb. http://cdn.boats.net/diagram/Merc2/COMMON//5329.png # ***** is the idle jet.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything I wasn't clear on that you need clarified?