Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

07 60 hp Merc on a 19' Suntracker. Ran just fine until I

Customer Question
'07 60 hp Merc on...
'07 60 hp Merc on a 19' Suntracker. Ran just fine until
I took it out and changed the oil. Now it wont exceed 4000 rpm in gear. Revs good in neutral. Took it back out, checked the impellor, cleaned and lubed everything. Oil level was high, drained some. Still wont rev over 4000.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
4/30/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will me helping you today. Sounds like you have some fuel starvation issues. Do you have the ability to check fuel pressure? Do you have a primer bulb on the boat?
Also, can I get the engines serial number please.
Serial # *****
Yes, inline primer bulb. I pumped the bulb while under way, no difference.
Do you have the ability/tools to check fuel pressure?
Tools but no fuel pressure gauge
Gotcha, When was the last time all of the fuel filters were changed on the engine, including the one inside of the vapor tank?
Changed the mounted fuel filter as soon as I found the problem. Don't know about the vapor tank filter.
It has a nearly new fuel pump.
What kind of rpms were you turning before? 5k, 5500, 6k?
About 5500
Still does 5000-6000 in neutral
Got it. Now what kinds of questions do you have for me, you have not asked anything as of yet.
Why wont the motor excelerate like it did before I took the boat out of the water and serviced it. It used to get on plane, wont now. The hull is clean.
There is no way I could know that without any troubleshooting. I know how to diagnose and repair these engines, but I have no idea what is wrong with your actual engine unless there are diagnostics and troubleshooting steps done.
At first glance sounds like you have a fuel starvation issue. I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and go run the boat at full speed to confirm or exclude that theory first. And the reason why I say it sounds like it is starving for fuel is because if the engine dropped spark on a cylinder you would loose more than 1500 rpms. Does that make sense?
Seriously, you've been trying to answer my question through this entire thread.
Not really. The home page says, and I quote;
"Have Boat Repair Maintenance Questions?
Boat maintenance and repairs can give rise to a lot of questions. Having a boat mechanic fix the problems can be both time consuming and expensive. Now you can fix your boat problems from the comfort of your home, with the help of verified boat mechanics on JustAnswer. Just Bring your boat repair questions to marine mechanics on JustAnswer and get solutions to any of your boat problems."
And that's what it says.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Different folks want different things and have different expectations of the website.
Some people.....
1. Just want to know where a Master Mechanic is local to them
2. Just want to talk about the issue, and just have a conversation about it so they are better prepared for when they take it in to their shop.
3. Have quite a bit of tooling, and some knowledge, and they do want to get their hands dirty, but they need a guide.
4. Have no tooling, but they want to try to fix their engine anyways (which never happens)
I have no idea what your expectations are. You didn't ask any kind of clear cut question could have a reasonable response to it. If you can clarify specifically what it is you are looking to do I'll do my best to help. But you have to ask specific questions that can have reasonable answers to them.
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic