Boat

I own a 1996 21 Chaparral with a carbureted 350 inboard engine.

Customer Question
I own a 1996 21'...
I own a 1996 21' Chaparral with a carbureted 350 inboard engine. It only has about 300 hours on it. I have noticed that it's performance has dropped considerably in the last few years. The maximum rpms that it achieves is about 3,500 compared to over 4,000 before. There is a black smoke that sometimes comes out of the exhaust when it idles. I have... Read full answer
I own a 1996 21' Chaparral with a carbureted 350 inboard engine. It only has about 300 hours on it. I have noticed that it's performance has dropped considerably in the last few years. The maximum rpms that it achieves is about 3,500 compared to over 4,000 before. There is a black smoke that sometimes comes out of the exhaust when it idles. I have had the carb rebuilt and tuned, spark plugs and wires replaced, and the distributer cap and rotor replaced. I have noticed a couple times that moments before the fuel tank runs out completely while I am going full speed that suddenly the motor performs much better and that the RPMs go up above 4,000. Any ideas as to what could be causing the boats lack of performance until moments before it runs out of gas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Boat
9/5/2014
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is Jason and I will be helping you today.

I have noticed a couple times that moments before the fuel tank runs out completely while I am going full speed that suddenly the motor performs much better and that the RPMs go up above 4,000.

This is because the engine leans out that last minute of running.

And then phenomenon would be normal. All engines pick up rpms as they lean out. That being said, this really isn't a good practice. If you consistanty suck the tank dry as you run the boat your going to end up sucking up any junk on the bottom of the tank as well. And that junk will end up in the carb, clogging it.

What concerns me more is the black smoke. That means incomplete combustion. The very first thing you need to do is a compression test to make sure you don't have low compression on all, or a dead cylinder. Start with a compression test and let me know what you get for a numbers.

Hello, Jason here again. I'm just checking in and seeing how you were making out. Did you find my answer helpful, or did you need more help with it? A rating has not been put through on my end yet, so I wanted to make sure you were either all set, or see if you had more questions about this. Did the system give you any problems when trying to put through a rating?

Thanks again!
Jason
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My boat wont go over 3200 rpm at full throttle. I have
My boat wont go over 3200 rpm at full throttle. I have changed out all fuel components plugs wires distributer and cant figure it out. … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Can I use a transmission that is paired with a 350, 454
Can I use a transmission that is paired with a 350, for a 454 motor? The transmission is : ZF Hurth 450-A2, 2.03:1 ratio. I'm about to purchase a boat from a guy who says he put the 454 in the boat fo… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2009 Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI with Bravo 1 drive in
I have a 2009 Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI with Bravo 1 drive in a Stingray boat. The boat runs great at idle but as you increase throttle it begins to skip badly around 2,000 rpm. 2,500 is a slow plane for… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
BF 150 Outbourds: Hi I have 2 Honda 150 counter rotation outboards
Hi I have 2 Honda 150 counter rotation outboards on my boat, and the boatmanufcturers has swopped the gearboxes around, wil it make any difference on the performance and what would the reason be for d… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Hi, My name isXXXXX have one question about marine propulsion
Hi, My name isXXXXX have one question about marine propulsion boat which was unable to get desired speed. It was a light alloy crew boat with the following particulars: Gross tonnage: 226 Net tonnage:… read more
Diesel Boat Doc
Diesel Boat Doc
Hi, I have a Fairline Phantom 43 motor boat fitted with TAM
Hi, I have a Fairline Phantom 43 motor boat fitted with TAM 75 P engines, recently I noticed excessive carbon deposits on the rear transom area, this has steadily got worse. Last weekend I took the bo… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
jUST PICKED UP A 83 Carver 28ft Mariner. Boat was very well
jUST PICKED UP A 83 Carver 28ft Mariner. Boat was very well keep. Engines ( 2 GM 305 crusader'S) have 700 hrs on them and run very smooth . My question is at best with 3 people on board she only gets … read more
Dominick
Dominick
Marine Mechanic,
I have 8v92TA s in my boat. They were just overhauled and now
I have 8v92TA s in my boat. They were just overhauled and now the maximum rpms are 200 less than they should be. Could it be an injector problem even though the mechanic tells me they are all working?… read more
Diesel Boat Doc
Diesel Boat Doc
I have a 1996 Celebrity 190 Bowrider and it seems to have a
I have a 1996 Celebrity 190 Bowrider and it seems to have a restiction in the fuel system. I changed the entire fuel system except the tank. There is a check valve in the fitting coming out of the tan… read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
Late last year I purchased a 1993 Regal 17 foot I/O equipted
Late last year I purchased a 1993 Regal 17 foot I/O equipted with an 4.3 L Alpha One Mercruiser sterndrive. Engine is rated at 190 hp. I had to immediately replace the prop due to existing damage. My … read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
have a honda outboard 15hp 4 stroke 2003 bought new 2 years
have a honda outboard 15hp 4 stroke 2003 bought new 2 years ago cannot get more that 17 mph on the water with a 14 ft Lund DLX fishing boat. some people tell me its a prop issue others say it is jette… read more
Jason
Jason
I have a mercruiser 5.0 engine with a bravo ll outdrive. Which
I have a mercruiser 5.0 engine with a bravo ll outdrive. Which prop will give me more MPH, is it 17 3/4 X 21 or 17 3/4 X 23. Waiting for your answer.… read more
Kenny
Kenny
Mercury & Mercruiser Diagnostics,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 2005 Monterey 268ss with a Mercruiser Mag 350 MPI
I have a 2005 Monterey 268ss with a Mercruiser Mag 350 MPI B3 drive. The engine runs smooth, but does not go beyond 4,000 rpm, making 29 knots max. The hull was cleaned up on March 09 and it is not in… read more
capt ron 1959
capt ron 1959
Owner/Marine Mechanic,
I have a 1989 4.3litre Mercruiser engine. Starts fine, idles
I have a 1989 4.3litre Mercruiser engine. Starts fine, idles a little rough and under zero load, will rev up to 5000 rpm without a hiccup. It 'barks' pretty good. BUT....as soon as I place it in gear … read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,
I have twin volvo sterndrives. I have had the port side motor
I have twin volvo sterndrives. I have had the port side motor reconditioned and serviced not long ago. The port motor has always failed to get to maximum revs under load and still has since the servic… read more
Mechman45
Mechman45
What is the optimum rpm range for a 5.7 mercruiser on a 23
What is the optimum rpm range for a 5.7 mercruiser on a 23 foot maxum and what is the best prop size/pitch to achieve this?… read more
Dominick
Dominick
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 21 bayliner trophy cuddy. the motor is 120 4 cylynder
I have a 21' bayliner trophy cuddy. the motor is 120 4 cylynder inboard. Im having a problem getting up on plane quickly. I have trim tabs on the boat. when i start out i'll be at full throttle 12 to … read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,
i just bought a 1987 inboard boat. it has a 4 cylinder ...
i just bought a 1987 inboard boat. it has a 4 cylinder motor with a omc cobra housing and stern.-----it starts good and runs good but will not get above 2500 rpm. thottle linkage is wide open. top spe… read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,