Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have 1987 350/270 crusaders 1160 hrs. Im have an issue…

Customer Question
I have 1987 350/270 crusaders...
I have 1987 350/270 crusaders 1160 hrs.
I'm have an issue with my port engine, starts up fine. Idle is a little rough. Louder than the starboard. Up to 1200 RPM they both seemed the same, after that I had to really push the port throttle to try and keep up with the starboard. @WOT I could only get 2k RPM from the port. After some checking I found that 3 cylinders made no difference when I pulled them off the distributer while @ idle. 5,7,8 didn't cause the enginge to sputter, all others sputtered when removed . I pulled the plug on 5 and it was black it was getting a spark to the plug. I swapped the plug and wire and no difference.
Compression on all cylinders between 155 and 170.
This morning I changed all the plugs, I swapped out the ignition coil, no change. I changed the fuel/water separator and looked pretty good, some sediment. checked the filter at the carb.
No points or condenser, it is replaced with the electronic (?) version.
I looked at both carbs when giving throttle I can see the gas shooting in. (I know not a mechanical term...)
Bottom is clean, nothing wrapped around the shaft/prop, it started acting this way when I launched it.
Ran fine when I put her away.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
7/10/2014
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Your compression numbers are good. So I have a couple of questions back to you.

1. How old is your gas?

2. When was the last time the engines had a full and complete tune up, by that I mean cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, all filters ect? Most of this stuff is once a year, but what is the history on your engines/boat?

3. When was the last time both engines built full power under a load? And by that I mean boat in the water, at full speed?

1. Gas is from last year, put ethanol treatment t and stabl before winterizing. Single tank and the starboard engine runs fine.
2. Spring 2013. Tune up every spring.
3. Before haul out fall of 2013. Boat ran with no issues before haul out. Nothing major done in the off season. Boat started up fine before launch
When taking it out after launch issue started right away.

Thanks

Got it.

On your tune up. Typcially it's cap, rotor, plugs filters all once a year. The plug wires are good for 3 to 5 years. How long has it been since a wire set?

After that. If compression it good. And your tune up/ignition related compontents are good. That only leaves fuel system issues. Which means fuel pumps, or clogged carb. What have you looked at so far? And what does your gut feeling tell you?

Pretty sure wires were changed last year.
I was thinking of swapping carbs from the good engine to the bad.
Looking at the fuel pump, not sure what to look for.
Sounds like a sucking sound (vacuum issue?). How to test that?
A retired mechanic said it seemed like the distributor.
If it were a phone issue I would have a gut feeling, but this I'm not sure.

Please bear with me as I am not there to see/hear it myself. When you say sounds like a sucking sound, what exactly do you mean there? What are you hearing?

Do you make boat calls?
It's like a ssshhhh, when reving the engine it gets louder.

Good morning, and sorry for the delay. We all do this on side, out ofour houses. When you had last replied last night I was already of to bed.

The sucking sound is indicitve of either an air leak or a clogged spark arrester/air cleaner. If you pop the spark arrestor off the carb, does it still make the same noise?

The other engine does not make this noise, correct?

I will try and remove the spark arrester tonight.
The starboard is fine.
I have heard of a vacuum leak test. What do you think?

No problem I sent the reply and went to bed myself.
Thanks
A vacuum test would be on the list of things to check. If the nosie goes away when you remov the air cleaner it is just that. But if you still have it, have a look at the carb and make srue the choke isn't sticking closed, as that would do it. Do you have a basic vacuum gauge, and is that something you can do?
Hello, Jason here again. I'm just checking in and seeing how you were making out. Did you find my answer helpful, or did you need more help with it? A rating has not been put through on my end yet, so I wanted to make sure you were either all set, or see if you had more questions about this.

Thanks again!
Jason