Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have two outboard motors on my boat and I am seeking instruction…

I have two outboard motors...
I have two outboard motors on my boat and I am seeking instruction on how to winterize these for winter in South Dakota. I am also looking for instruction on any precausions I should observe as I plan to do some fall fishing on the lakes before final freeze up of the lakes. When I fish on the open water during the day what should I consider after pulling the boat out of the water for the night to again fish again the next day because the evenings and nights which will likely drop below freezing. One motor is a 1992 2 cycle Mariner 115 hp and the other kicker motor is a newer 4 stroke Honda 15 hp
10/12/2013
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Outboard motors 2 and 4 stroke require no draining for winterizing. The water drains out of the engine when the engines are tilted in the down position. The only thing they do for long term winterizing is add a fuel stabilizer to the engine and fog the cylinders with a storage fogging oil.

To winterize add fuel stabilizer to the fuel run the engine to get the stabilizer into the fuel system of the engine. While you are running the engine spray some fogging oil into the carburetors till the engine starts to smoke. Once you see heavy smoke then you can shut the engine down now you are winterized. Disconnect the battery and store in a cool dry space.

This would be a good time to change all the fluid levels and fuel filters so you start fresh next season.

To get ready for next time use just charge the battery and start engine let run till smoke clears go boating.

Post back with questions and concerns before rating please.

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician