How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jason Your Own Question
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 16206
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
Type Your Boat Question Here...
Jason is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

have a 1985 bayliner with Johnson 50 outboard. Lost the key

This answer was rated:

have a 1985 bayliner with Johnson 50 outboard. Lost the key so bought a new ignition switch with keys. the old ignition switch has 6 terminals marked M B M C S A . The new switch also has six terminals marked M B M C S I I don't want to screw anything up when I hook the battery up so hoping you can tell me if the wire that was connected to terminal A on the old switch should be connected to the terminal I on the new switch?

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be halping you today.


You are correct, what was on A on the old keyswitch goes to I on the new keyswitch. The difference is on the actual Johnson made keyswitches(which your old one was), they call it A for accessory. On the aftermarket/universal keyswitches, they call it I for ignition. But it's the same thing.


That should do it, but if I missed anything feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,


Jason and other Boat Specialists are ready to help you